Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have mandriva one 2008 spring (or whatever it is) on an hp ze4800 laptop. It is running off an external USB 100GB hard drive. (btw, are there usb 1.1 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Exclamation Mandriva Not shutting off all the way

I have mandriva one 2008 spring (or whatever it is) on an hp ze4800 laptop. It is running off an external USB 100GB hard drive. (btw, are there usb 1.1 AND usb 2.0 cords, or does the cord not matter?) In the bootloader section, all the ACPI/APIC/APIC local options are enabled. Suspend and Hibernate aren't really of any concern to me, but they don't work either, and it would be nice to suspend a laptop. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The system gets all the way down to "halting..." (when shutting down). Then, it literally halts. It doesn't even turn the fan or screen off. If it helps, I have 1GB ram, 128MB allocated video ram, 2.12GHZ processor. If it's something wrong with the bios, I'm not sure there's much i can do, since there are very few bios options available to me.

Just Joined!
    Have you tried to shut it down in a console?
    Ctrl + Alt + F1 (to get out of the xwindows environment and into another console window)
    Log on as root
    type the command
    shutdown -h now

This should shut down the computer. It is a good test to see if the problem is on the Linux side or on the hardware side. If it doesn't shutdown, then we'll have to look at the BIOS settings.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vramby View Post
    Have you tried to shut it down in a console?
    Ctrl + Alt + F1 (to get out of the xwindows environment and into another console window)
    Log on as root
    type the command
    shutdown -h now

This should shut down the computer. It is a good test to see if the problem is on the Linux side or on the hardware side. If it doesn't shutdown, then we'll have to look at the BIOS settings.
    No dice. But: There is a shutting down splash thingy. It gets down to very little ways to go, then hangs. So close, yet so far! I also tried adding the "acpi=force" in the boot options, which gave the boot splash. So that does something. (maybe)

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    I am also curious to see how this is going to be resolved. I am not trying to hijack this thread , but I am experiancing the same problems as the OP on a Dualbooting Amrel RT 686 EX, 256mb ram, 900 mhz ,Windows 2000 Pro SP4 /Mandriva 2008 KDE, I get the same readout on shutting down Mandriva exactly like tornadowarnings. In Windows when shutting down at the end you get the "It is now safe to turn off your Computer" screen. I am just posting this for info purposes as it may help original Poster, Like I said I am not trying to hijack this thread.

Since Windows doesn't shut down the computer all the way automatically without you manually hitting the off button ; I figured maybe Mandriva is incapable of doing this also. Just food for thought.

Just Joined!
    I had a brief look at the mandriva forums and found a similar case.
    Maybe this will help you on the way.
    Mandriva 2008.1 does not shut down properly | Mandriva Expert

And another link, but with mandrake 10.0
    Mandrake 10.0 not shutting down [solved] - MandrivaUsers.org

I hope this will get you on your way.

Greetings,
    Vramby