Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey all. I just installed Mandrake 10 w/KDE on my dell desktop today and the only thing that isn't working is my eth0. I have an ethernet card and a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Mandrake 10 eth0 failure

Hey all. I just installed Mandrake 10 w/KDE on my dell desktop today and the only thing that isn't working is my eth0. I have an ethernet card and a cable modem, with service through optimum online(DHCP). I have tried a multitude of approaches before posting this. My resolv.conf file seems to be empty and ifconfig returns the following:

eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:80:AD:C0:F6:C6
    inet6 addr: fe80::280:addf:fec0:f6c6/64 Scope:Link
    UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    RX packets: 539 errors:38 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:0 errors 12 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:12
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    RX bytes:35724 (34.8 Kb) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
    Interrupt:18 Base address:0xec00

When I monitor the connection in KDE, it seems to be receiving but not sending. I have nothing to do right now so i'll be sitting here hitting refresh waiting for your replies. I only have one internet connection though, so if you want me to try something that requires my linux machine have the internet plugged into it, please tell me so i can switch the cables. Thanks

Linux Guru
    The one thing that looks odd/different is that your using an IPv6 IP address instead of an IPv4 IP address. I dont know if this was intentional on your part if so disregard this comment. Edit, just re-read your original post, so unless optimum online specifically ask for IPv6 the chances are that may be the problem.

Unfortunatly i dont have any experience with IPv6 configuration/setups myself so cannot really tell your where to start to fix the problem.

Jason

Just Joined!
    Just like to add my own experience with the same problem, but mine occurred upon upgrading to mdk10....
    Tangled with it for a few days, and found that by deleting the
    /var/lib/dhcp/dhclient-eth0.leases
    that the problem automagically fixed itself (it created a new file after rebooting).
    Perhaps this may help you also, or perhaps it won"t (*_*)

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    In MDK 10.0, I had to disable network hotplugging in order for my connection to work.

Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

Just Joined!
    thanks for all the replies. the solution was quite simple...all i had to do was set up the connection as "lan" instead of "cable" and power cycle my modem before restarting the network. thanks again.