Find the answer to your Linux question:
So, I have installed Mandriva, quite painless. I now have a small partition, 8.4GB that appears to have Mandriva on it, a 29GB partition with my user and guest files, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

newbie needs some help

So, I have installed Mandriva, quite painless. I now have a small partition, 8.4GB that appears to have Mandriva on it, a 29GB partition with my user and guest files, and my windows partition, about 280GB.

I noticed that on the last reboot after I installed Mandriva, that the only choices I have on boot are for Mandriva and the Mandriva Safe Mode. I'm guessing I need to somehow tell linux that I would like Vista as a choice in the boot menu?

Next, since I can see my windows partition, is there anyway I can run programs installed there? I'm guessing no, but I'm a complete newbie, I decided early this afternoon that I was going to install linux, and here I am, at 11:15pm, with Mandriva installed.

Once I'm confident that I can get some of the games I want to install to run in Linux, I was planning on wiping the windows partition and using that as my gaming install partition. But first, can I install things on Linux to the windows partition right now, with Vista still installed there, or do I need to wipe it first before I install things to it in Linux?

Thanks for the help in advance, I think I'm going to be around for a few weeks getting the hang of this.

Linux Newbie
    Linux has no problem coexisting with windows. On the other hand windows do their best to screw interoperability(from windows you can't see your linux partitions)!!

For the boot loader go to Mandrake Control Center -> boot -> boot config ->
    configure lilo/grub -> (or something like this, i use Ubuntu)

In Linux there are not many games ported currently, although this is slowly changing. I suggest you remove vista (in Greece we say svista which sounds like "erase them" in Greek) and have xp for games. Good games in Linux and free are Nexuiz, openarena, alienarena, etc.

You can install your programs anywhere you want, but since you will install 95% of your programs through the package manager, there is really no reason to install things manually and in other partitions; Let Mandriva do the hard work for you! Linux is not vista, so you don't need a Gazillion gigabytes for Linux!

You will see the next few weeks that Linux is not difficult, just different. Once you install your first program from the package manager, you will know 50% of Linux everyday desktop use.

Linux Guru
    You do need an entry in the Grub file to boot any windows version. There is a file in the /boot/grub/ directory called menu.lst. Check there (as root user) to see if there is an entry for windows. If there is and vista doesn't boot, post the entry for vista from menu.lst and also the output of the 'fdisk -l' command (lower case Letter L). With this information, someone should be able to tell you what entry to use.

Running windows programs on Linux is usually done by 'wine' which comes pre-installed with many distributions. There are other programs. You can check to see if you have wine installed by going to your /home/user directory in the file manager and clicking on 'View' and the opetion 'Show Hidden Files'. You can find out more about wine at their website: http://www.winehq.org/

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Hi McCreary!
    Your problems are caused probably by not mounting the Windows partition during the installation. At a certain moment, you had to make a partitioning, and you've probably missed to determine the mounting points. Still, have no fear!
    1. Please post me the content of your /etc/fstab file
    2. Post me the output of the command: fdisk -l ,(as a root user)

For the booting problems first we have to make us sure that your Mandriva sees your NTFS partition containing the Windows.
    If yes, then there is an easy way to add an entry for Windows in your GRUB.
    This can be done through Mandriva Control Center, the tab Boot options (or similar) and the button "Boot up settings" or so in English. First press "Next", then the button Add, and you will be questioned about the type of the OS you'd like to add. Select Windows, and that's all.
    If you need a CD/DVD catalogizer, give a try to my program:
    http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show...content=100682
    Linux Usert#430188

Just Joined!
    # Entry for /dev/sda5 :
    UUID=b69baa7a-778e-48ab-a9b1-7fe47da6c52e / ext3 defaults 1 1
    # Entry for /dev/sda7 :
    UUID=7bd8c5ef-af20-440b-8570-2380694465de /home ext3 defaults 1 2
    none /proc proc defaults 0 0
    # Entry for /dev/sda6 :
    UUID=5461a90f-44aa-45bc-89eb-2d4de83566ca swap swap defaults 0 0
    # Entry for /dev/sda1 :
    UUID=20749E20749DF8AC /media/hd ntfs-3g defaults 0 0
    That is in my /etc/fstab file. In the home link I have on my desktop (like window's explorer, mercifully for me) I can see my window's portion under /media/hd, if I were to rename it C: I'd swear I was looking at it through window's eyes.

In the system:/media I can see all three partitions, like I had listed in my first post.

In my 29G Media I see what I assume to be the linux user names file areas.
    In my 8.4G Media I see what I assame is the actual install for Mandriva.
    In my 277G Media I see my C: from windows.

I chose to create a new partition when I installed mandriva, because I figured it was better than installing it with Vista. Thanks for the help so far, and I'll try the information you guys have given me before I post again.

Just Joined!
    Okay, so I'm a failure, I've tried running the fdisk -l command a few times.

One time I used the shell to navigate to the directory /etc, but nothing came of it, it isn't a command.

The other time I just opened the run command from the menu bar.

Also, and this is more embarassing, I've searched hi and low for the Mandriva Control Center. . . I've found lots of things that aren't the control center, but I've probably just missed the big sign that says 'Over here stupid!'

Edit: Of course, just AFTER typing this, I find the control center. Again, the helpful buttons on the screen that I've failed to use properly. . .

Quote Originally Posted by McCreary View Post
    Okay, so I'm a failure, I've tried running the fdisk -l command a few times.

One time I used the shell to navigate to the directory /etc, but nothing came of it, it isn't a command.

The other time I just opened the run command from the menu bar.

Also, and this is more embarassing, I've searched hi and low for the Mandriva Control Center. . . I've found lots of things that aren't the control center, but I've probably just missed the big sign that says 'Over here stupid!'

Edit: Of course, just AFTER typing this, I find the control center. Again, the helpful buttons on the screen that I've failed to use properly. . .
    Some hints with the terminal:
    When you open it you can see a $ sign before the cursor. It indicates that you are logged in as user. In this mode you can do a lot of things, but you cannot gain certain informations about the system, nor to change its vital parts. If you're ready for that you should do the following:
    type: su <ENTER>
    You'll be asked for the root password. Type it in and hit the ENTER.
    You will see a # sign at the beginning.
    Now you can type: fdisk -l
    If you want to enter to the Control Center, type mcc
    (Otherwise you can find it as a menu item in KDEMenu/Accessories/System Tools)

If you want to navigate to /etc folder you can type: cd /etc
    If you like twin-panneled commanders type: mc and you'll see a semi-graphical browsing interface.
    If you want to open /etc/fstab in a viewer yo can do it with: kwrite /etc/fstab

Your fstab looks to be O.K. So go to the mcc!
    Are you using Mandriva 2008.1 or earlier versions? Because the automatized recognition of Windows has been added only in this version and its some late betas.
    If you need a CD/DVD catalogizer, give a try to my program:
    http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show...content=100682
    Linux Usert#430188

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the information on the shell, I only have one account, and with windows, if you only have one account, you are automatically the administrator. I figured it worked similarly here. Apparently not.

I went into the control center and did what yancek said, and when I restarted, I could choose windows. Of course windows was upset, but after it 'fixed' itself and rebooted, I reselected windows and it booted right up.

Thanks for helping me with my first victory.

My next step is figuring out why sometimes when I boot up I have the internet, and not others. I actually installed Eve Online's Linux version (I didn't do much, just clicked on the file I downloaded from Eve's website) and when Firefox couldn't find the internet, Eve was working just fine, and the network I created was 'up' according to the icon in the system tray.

I do have the option to Always Launch on startup checked, but it seems that nearly everytime I start up, I have to recreate the network. It isn't hard, but I must be missing something. I have a cable modem going through a linksys wireless router (but I am wired, the wife's laptop is wireless) and into a d-link ethernet card (onboard died on me a few months back.)