Find the answer to your Linux question:

Thread: Firewire HDD

Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Firewire HDD

I have:
    PCMIA Firewire + USB2 Card
    Maxtor 160GB Firewire/USB HDD (External)
    Mandrake 10

Both work together with windows, so it's not hardware

I have a mouse plugged into the PCMIA card, so it works with linux (at least USB does)

The HDD will connect to a USB2 port in the back of my computer, but I need both of those, so I can't exactly do that

When I start it up, the HDD shows up (/mnt/removable), but when I click into that nothing shows up...

I have searched, and found www.linux1394.org, forget which, but that seems a little over my head (i'm a newbie)

Thanks
    -palmer

try opening a shell and logging in as root, then acessing the drive by
    cd /mnt/removable
    Also, is the drive in a linux readable FS? if its in ntfs, it might be a little sketchy, and your kernel might not have support for it installed.
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

hi palmem,

same problem here, did you manage to work it out? how?

FS in my drive is NTFS, but there is no problem in reading that as I have a windows partition with the same FS and I can access it.

I'm a newbie too, so ANY help would be really appreciated.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Already tried loggin in as root and checking it out...

It's FAT32

-palmer

anyone?

no Firewire for a USB/Firewire device either

I have a very similar problem with my firewire devices. I have an external drive that has both firewire and USB connection. The system doesn't respond at all when I plug into either the computer's firewire or mini firewire ports but the drive pops right up when connected with USB. The drive is formatted Fat 32 and I acess it from both windows and Apple machines via firewire. And the windows Boot is on the same box as the linux so I know those same firewire ports work under windows.

I'm a linux noob, and have just installed Mandriva 2007 a few days ago to check it out for potential freevo use.

any info would be greatly appreciated.

I also am trying to switch from mirroed multiple displays to separate but I'll post about that elsewhere.

Thanks