Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Okay so Im having trouble figuring out how to adjust the resolution. For some reason when I right click on the desktop go to configure then screen size I cant ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Adjusting the Resolution in KDE.

Okay so Im having trouble figuring out how to adjust the resolution. For some reason when I right click on the desktop go to configure then screen size I cant adjust it past 1024 X 768. I can howevery change the resolution in the Mandriva Control Center -> Set up the Graphical Server. But the thing is I put the resolution all the way up to 2048X1536 but the resolution looks like its at about 1024X768 and I cant get it to go any higer.

Miscellanous problem for some reason firefox underlines every word like its mispelled or something...

give o/p of
    /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by nareshjethva View Post
    give o/p of
    /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    yup def going to have to explain that one

Execute this
    Code:
    su -
    lspci | grep -i vga
    grep -i driver /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    Post output here.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation Unknown device 0845 (rev a 2)

Whats the output of second command? Have you installed Nvidia driver?
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Nope thats my problem I cant figure out how to install it. I downloaded the drivers from Nvidias website and it says to type "sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-177.13-pkg1.run" to install it but when I do I get and error NVIDIA Installer must be run as root which im not sure what that means.

Just Joined!
    Alright Im so confused right now, This is what I get when I run the second command.

$ grep -i driver /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    Driver "kbd"
    Driver "mouse"
    Driver "synaptics"
    Driver "vesa"

But the thing is Im not sure if I have a graphics driver installed or not, because when I go to Install and remove hardware and then System->Kernel and Hardware It saysI have a bunch of nvida drivers installed so im really confused...

Just Joined!
    lemme try to make things clearer.
    on your system, you can see your mouse, you can use it and click on things (like go to system>Kernel...), right?
    if that's the case, you have more than just a black screen with a bash (console), right?
    this means that you must have some graphics driver installed even if you didn't install it yourself.

what the people before me wanted you to do is to tell them which one is installed. here's how to do it:
    you click on the menu button in the lower left corner of your screen. then go to Tools and choose "Konsole". there should be a little box popping up that looks like DOS. dark background, white letters... you should be able to type commands there.
    alright here's what you do now:
    you type

Code:
    cd /etc/X11
    su
    [now you'll be asked for the root/administrator/super-user password. put it in and press enter. don't worry, it's normal that you don't see what you type]
    kwrite xorg.conf
    by now, the text editor should pop up and show you the content of the xorg.conf file. if it doesn't, you're most likely using a different editor and didn't install kwrite. please let us know and we'll try a different way.
    however, what you do next is select everything in the file and copy it (control+c), then paste (control+v) it here in this thread so we all can read it.

don't be offended by my easy language but I cannot tell how experienced you are with linux. since you said you were confused, I tried to say everything as easy as possible.

hf, gl

EDIT:
    don't try to install a new driver if you don't even know what running as root means. you can mess things up badly if you don't know what you're doing (even if you do, but then you know how to fix them).

Just Joined!
    This is my first experience with linux, Im a freshmen in Software Engineering so I figured I better get familar with linux so yeah total nub. But Im going to boot back into mandriva and try that out.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast