Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have an odd problem. I upgraded an old thinkpad 600 from a p2 to a p3. To get the hardware (and BIOS) to work correctly I had to disable ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

install question - boot partition

I have an odd problem. I upgraded an old thinkpad 600 from a p2 to a p3. To get the hardware (and BIOS) to work correctly I had to disable L2 cache in the BIOS. I've found a script that enables it in Grub, and I've successfully had it work in both ubuntu and PCLinuxOS, but want to run Mandriva Xfce... However the install goes fine, but as soon as I swap out the /boot/grub files in Mandriva 2008 Spring One (which is necessary to enable the L2 cache for my tpad script), it fails to boot and drops me to a grub> prompt.

I haven't found any help so I'm trying to be creative here. If I install Ubuntu, and add a boot partition, then install Mandriva Xfce over the root partition of ubuntu but DON'T install the mandriva bootloader, will this potentially solve my problem? If so, how do I set up a boot partition. I have an idea, but I'm sure its not as easy as I'm thinking.

I appreciate any help you might have.

My understanding is Mandriva uses Grub2 ... this may help.

Setup of a boot partition should be straight forward ... resolving the grub2 issue may take longer

If you are unsure of the boot partition setup maybe you could post your outline method for someone to comment on.