Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Exclamation need help installing mandriva

Hi, I have a pc which had xp pro on it that kept messing up, so I burnt mandriva onto a cd. i tried booting from this cd, with no luck. i deleted the partition on the hard drive and tried booting from the cd still with no luck. i am now installing xp back onto the pc to try and get mandriva again, i am just having problems with having it load onto my computer! is there something im missing here, or what? i am new to linux and have never dealt with it before so i am not sure of how to load it onto a computer that already had windows on it... any help would be greatly appreciated.

forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by treys View Post
    i am now installing xp back onto the pc to try and get mandriva again, i am just having problems with having it load onto my computer!
    Welcome to the forums, treys!

Check this HowTo to make sure you are downloading, burning, and booting it properly:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/ins...ll-cd-dvd.html

Let us know how it goes.
    oz

okay, so i found out i messed up by not burning the image to a cd... so i burnt the image to a cd, and tried booting from the cd with the image on it... a screen that says mandriva pops up, and it says something about booting it, and goes to 100% where it then goes to another screen where it's loading everything onto the pc, and then the screen goes blank, and the mouse doesn't work. i am using a kvm switch with this setup, might that be the problem?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I think the KVM could be the issue, I have ubuntu installed, and I could never get the system to recognize my KVM, so I didn't use it and the OS worked fine.

Can you see the console?
    It's maybe due to unknown video driver. I had the similar trouble with a relatively new Sis card. Have you tried to boot in secure mode? After that call XFdrake and select "vesa" driver.
    If you need a CD/DVD catalogizer, give a try to my program:
    http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show...content=100682
    Linux Usert#430188

Did you give it time to unfreeze? It may have been loading the video driver for your current video card...the screen will go blank when it does this for a few seconds, then it will come back. It may even go blank twice.