Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I have a pc which had xp pro on it that kept messing up, so I burnt mandriva onto a cd. i tried booting from this cd, with no ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Exclamation need help installing mandriva

Hi, I have a pc which had xp pro on it that kept messing up, so I burnt mandriva onto a cd. i tried booting from this cd, with no luck. i deleted the partition on the hard drive and tried booting from the cd still with no luck. i am now installing xp back onto the pc to try and get mandriva again, i am just having problems with having it load onto my computer! is there something im missing here, or what? i am new to linux and have never dealt with it before so i am not sure of how to load it onto a computer that already had windows on it... any help would be greatly appreciated.

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by treys View Post
    i am now installing xp back onto the pc to try and get mandriva again, i am just having problems with having it load onto my computer!
    Welcome to the forums, treys!

Check this HowTo to make sure you are downloading, burning, and booting it properly:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/ins...ll-cd-dvd.html

Let us know how it goes.
    oz

Just Joined!
    okay, so i found out i messed up by not burning the image to a cd... so i burnt the image to a cd, and tried booting from the cd with the image on it... a screen that says mandriva pops up, and it says something about booting it, and goes to 100% where it then goes to another screen where it's loading everything onto the pc, and then the screen goes blank, and the mouse doesn't work. i am using a kvm switch with this setup, might that be the problem?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    I think the KVM could be the issue, I have ubuntu installed, and I could never get the system to recognize my KVM, so I didn't use it and the OS worked fine.

Can you see the console?
    It's maybe due to unknown video driver. I had the similar trouble with a relatively new Sis card. Have you tried to boot in secure mode? After that call XFdrake and select "vesa" driver.
    If you need a CD/DVD catalogizer, give a try to my program:
    http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show...content=100682
    Linux Usert#430188

Just Joined!
    Did you give it time to unfreeze? It may have been loading the video driver for your current video card...the screen will go blank when it does this for a few seconds, then it will come back. It may even go blank twice.