Find the answer to your Linux question:
STORY (will try to make it as short as possible) I wanted to get back into the habbit of using linux... I decided to go with mandriva as I used ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Need Help

STORY (will try to make it as short as possible)
    I wanted to get back into the habbit of using linux... I decided to go with mandriva as I used mandrake 10 years ago for a short period of time and switched back to windows as a result of switching computers and laziness(not wanting to install linux) so I've been using windows for the past 10 on various computers. I downloaded mandriva and burned the iso to a disk.. went to partition the drives and effed my windows partition up in the process... turns out the version that I download runs off of the cd but is one that I can also install... so I ran it off of the cd, partitioned the hard drive with a format that linux will run on. Fine, I need to get linux to boot on startup without having acccess to windows... I'm severely confused and I remember this being alot easier so if someone could give me a step by step on what to do next I should be fine.
    thx a million

Hi and Welcome !

Dual setup is and default in all Linux distros. Does Windows OS boot up without any problem?
    Boot up Mandriva, open Konsole/Terminal and execute this
    Code:
    su -
    fdisk -l
    Post output here.

* Its small L in fdisk -l.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/hda1 * 690 9486 70661902+ 7 HPFS/NTFS
    /dev/hda2 1 689 5534361 b W95 FAT32
    /dev/hda3 9487 14593 41021977+ f W95 Ext'd (LBA)
    /dev/hda5 9487 9616 1044193+ 7 HPFS/NTFS
    /dev/hda6 14536 14576 329301 83 Linux
    /dev/hda7 14577 14593 136521 82 Linux swap / Solaris
    /dev/hda8 9617 14535 39511836 83 Linux

no windows does not load at all missing hal.dll
    so when I take this livecd or whatever it is out it tries to load windows on startup / fails / sits there

First of all, Fix Windows OS problem. Mandriva Installation CD/DVD has an option to remove GRUB and restore Windows Boot Loader. When Windows OS start booting up fine, start Mandriva Installation. Assign /boot mount point to /dev/hda6 and / mount point to /dev/hda8. Mandriva installer will detect SWAP partition and setup dual boot itself.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    I have seen no option anywhere to remove grub and to replace the windows boot loader... as far as thats concerned I have found no solutions to the hal.dll problem that I'm experiencing with windows.