Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've been using Mandriva for a few years now, and decided I finally need to bite the bullet and dual boot with XP, as uni requires me to use some ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Dual boot issues

I've been using Mandriva for a few years now, and decided I finally need to bite the bullet and dual boot with XP, as uni requires me to use some win stuff that runs horridly under wine.

So, a fresh XP install went fine, using only a small part of the drive, and then I booted with Mandriva 2008.1 live cd and installed - this is where I noticed things looking funny. Firstly, it started creating the partitions as sda1 etc, instead of hda1. Is this a problem?

Anyway, install finishes, I go to boot to windows and it gives me the bl**dy bloo screen. I start remembering why I stopped using it in the first place! (I could boot to windows fine before mandriva went on).

Error being STOP! 0x0000007B. Blah blah blah, damaged disc etc. Can boot to mandriva perfectly fine, just not windows.

Windows part of boot menu reads (i;m using grub):

title windows
    root (hd0,0)
    chainloader +1

Can anyone assist with my annoying problem? Suggest a cure, or something I've done wrong? Looking up the windows troubleshooting with the error code proved pointless.

Thanks

Just Joined!
    While I can not offer a solution to your problems, I can inform you that there is nothing wrong with installing to sda, hda is IDE disks, you probably have SATA or SCSI (SATA I'd imagine), and linux calls these disks sda, sdb, etc.

As for your windows problem, sounds like something went wrong during install, I'd install windows again, and then re-install linux. Most likly sda1 is your windows partition, so you'd want to leave that one alone.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for clearing up the sda issue - it is a SATA drive.

I did the installs twice, and both times got the same issue. Coz windows worked before Mandriva went on, something must have happened during the mandriva install. Windows is on sda1, I let mandriva partition itself on the rest of the drive the second time. The first time I manually partitioned, and let it auto the second time thinking I did something wrong the first time.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    Post the output of 'fdisk -l' command (run as root) and your actual /boot/grub/menu.lst file.

You might need 'rootnoverify (hd0,0) in place of root (hd0,0). Check to see with fdisk if your windows partition is marked atcive (*) or add line 'makeactive' after the rootnoverify line.

Just Joined!
    fdisk -l
    Code:
    Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
    /dev/sda1   *           1        1355    10243768+   7  HPFS/NTFS
    /dev/sda2            1356       41345   302324400    5  Extended
    /dev/sda5            1356        2438     8187448+  83  Linux
    /dev/sda6            2439        2979     4089928+  82  Linux swap / Solaris
    /dev/sda7            2980       41345   290046928+  83  Linux

/boot/grub/menu.lst

Code:
    title linux
    kernel (hd0,4)/boot/vmlinuz BOOT_IMAGE=linux root=UUID=de308cce-708b-4fce-9933-0ae7fd8d05c7 resume=/dev/sda6 splash=silent vga=788
    initrd (hd0,4)/boot/initrd.img

title linux-nonfb
    kernel (hd0,4)/boot/vmlinuz BOOT_IMAGE=linux-nonfb root=UUID=de308cce-708b-4fce-9933-0ae7fd8d05c7 resume=/dev/sda6

title failsafe
    kernel (hd0,4)/boot/vmlinuz BOOT_IMAGE=failsafe root=UUID=de308cce-708b-4fce-9933-0ae7fd8d05c7 failsafe

title windows
    root (hd0,0)
    chainloader +1
    Will try rootnoverify now and see how he goes.