Find the answer to your Linux question:
Today I booted up Mandriva 2008.0 entering my username and password as normal. However, once the GUI appeared the keyboard ceased to work. I rebooted into Windows and the keyboard ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Keyboard not working in KDE Mandriva 2008.0

Today I booted up Mandriva 2008.0 entering my username and password as normal. However, once the GUI appeared the keyboard ceased to work.

I rebooted into Windows and the keyboard worked normally.
    I then rebooted into Mandriva with the ICEWM deskto and the keyboard functioned as usual. It also works in Safe Mode.

My Xorg.conf reads as follows and seems unchanged .

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Keyboard1"
    Driver "kbd"
    Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
    Option "XkbLayout" "fr"
    Option "XkbOptions" "compose:rwin"
    EndSection

Ideas on how to rectify this problem would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Tony Littlejohn

Just Joined!
    Hi,

I had the same problem today with Mandriva 2008.1. Having used the PC yesterday and not turned it off overnight I was amazed to find that the keyboard appeared to be dead. After rebooting into Gnome, as you tried in another GUI, everything worked fine. So the problem is definitely in KDE. I have a home built AMD 64 X2 box with an NVIDIA video card and have checked the config and nothing appears to have changed.
    I went through the Mandriva formums and found a few suggestions regarding the NVIDIA conf and even a suggestion that it could be due to nfs drives but so far nothing works to correct the problem.
    As your problem was logged over 24 days ago I was wondering if you had found a solution other than having to re-load everything?

I hope you have.

Just Joined!

Keyboard Fails to work

Colinet,
    I must admit that I finally gave up with trying to solve the keyboard problem and went all the way back to 2008.0. I chose 2008.0 because of the PulseAudio Skype "no sound" problem.

I then tried out 2009 - the download ONE version. It looked good but for me was too unstable. So it was back to 2008.0 again and I'm staying here until 2009 is more stable. Perhaps the Spring version will do the job.

I have tried Gnome in the past but overall prefer KDE.

Sorry that I can't help you.

Tony

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

Smile Success!

I decided to have another go at this problem and having logged in via Gnome carried up an update through MCC. I then followed up a suggestion from elsewhere and deleted the /home/.kde folder. Restarted back to KDE and remarkably the keyboard was back in action.

Needless to say I had to reset all the KDE setting back but it was worth it to avoid having to reload Mandriva completely.

Colin