Find the answer to your Linux question:
can some one explain me what is the difference between mandriva free and mandriva power pack, I am trying to use a new linux desktop and don't know which one ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

what is the difference between mandriva free and power pack?

can some one explain me what is the difference between mandriva free and mandriva power pack, I am trying to use a new linux desktop and don't know which one to choose, now i am running centos, i was thinking to use ubuntu but i dont like it and also suse, which suse looks better then ubuntu, now i wanna try mandriva to see if is working the way i want, i need also a few tools to install on mandriva so that's why i don't want to have any surprises.. any way can some in the end explain me what is this difference..... pls....

oz
    forum.guy
    If I'm not mistaken, the Power Pack still costs money, whereas the other version is free for the download. I think you get some official support if you purchase the Power Pack, though.

In addition, the Power Pack comes with some proprietary drivers that are not included with the free version, but you can download those off of the web and use them with the free version if you need/want them.
    oz

Just Joined!
    i c now, well if is like you said it is good, because i know it will be easy to install them, since mandriva has a lot of support, to use it as a desktop what do you think, is it good? better than ubuntu , suse or centos..?

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by foottuns View Post
    i c now, well if is like it is good, because i know it will be easy to install them, since mandriva has a lot of support, to use it as a desktop what do you think, is it good? better than ubunt, use or centos..?
    Sorry, but whether or not one distribution is "as good as, or better than another distro" is something that each user has to decide for him/herself, since we don't all think alike about these things.

Best of luck with it, whatever you go with.
    oz

Just Joined!
    I need it for my office, all I need is docx, kvpnc and also evolution for pop because at the moment they don't have support for exchange server, who knows when it will come...
    thanks again and hope it will be ok, what are you using?

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by foottuns View Post
    what are you using?
    Arch Linux is what I keep on my own machines, these days.

I did use Mandrake (back when it when it was still called that) for several years, though, and liked it pretty well. It wasn't perfect by any means, but neither is anything else that I've tried.

Hope you have fun with it.
    oz

Just Joined!
    You know what is funny is that, most of the people which I ask them about mandriva they said the same thing like you, that most of them they start it with mandrake like it was before, and to be honest with you I have start it the same way, as I remember, it was mandrake and redhat 9, but the way I remember I had a few problems with mandrake on that time because of the kde, now I got use to it with gnome, and i think it will be better on mandriva, well I really don't like windows, at work some co-workers are using windows, even if we work all the time with centos servers, they still use windows to connect, any way they said it makes their work much easy, but I have try it CentOS desktop, I had a few problems at the start but now is working well, all I need is to use kvpnc and also docx for the files which I will receive them, I have a mac at home but because of my company policy I wont be able to use personal desktops.

Thanks for your chat....