Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
i have tried for some time to get my ati 9200 video card's vedio in funcitons to work but i just don't know enough. running mdk 10 have tried downloading ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

help me watch my tv

i have tried for some time to get my ati 9200 video card's vedio in funcitons to work but i just don't know enough.

running mdk 10

have tried downloading patch and running xawtv, tvtime, and a few others but it just seems like it doesn't think my card has vedio in/out functions

just to claify my card has composite and svideo in and out but not coaxial

i am willing to try anything to fix this includeing switching distros but as i said i am kind of new to linux so use small words

If you install the ATI drivers, they include a program called fglrxconfig which will craft a new xorg.conf for your card. This also guides you through setting up TV in/out.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Linux Newbie
    my driver cd has no file called fglrxconfig all it has is fglrx-glc22-410-325i586.rpm which from the readme suggests that it only sets up the drivers i wouldn't know because when i tryed to install it i get this message

Installation failed:
    file /usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.so.1.2 from install of fglrx-glc22-4.1.0-3.2.5 conflicts with file from package libxfree86-4.3-32.1.100mdk

but maybe i should claify at this point that the card is a gigabyte ati radon 9200
    what this means is that it only provides drivers for 3d acceration and i am left to find software for video in functions (this is true for windows as well i had to get multimedia 9.? just to see the input. i also have a ati all in wonder 128 pro 16mb but i couldn't see the cd in linux and the software is already outdated in windows so i gave up on that path but if you think it is worth it i will try harder there)

if you can help me out here that would be great

Download and install the latest drivers from ati's website. These will, once installed, provide you with the fglrxconfig.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Linux Newbie
    I go to ati.com then the driver section. I choose linux -> graphic driver -> Radon 9200 series

it tells me to run check.sh to determine my xfree version. I run it it reports 4.3.0.1

based on that i download fglrx-4.3.0-3.11.1.i386.rpm
    i run the file and give it the root password. It comes up with this message:

To satisfy dependencies, the following packages are going to be installed (12 MB):
    fglrx-4.3.0-3.11.1.i386

Is this OK?

I click yes then this message comes up:

Installation failed:
    file /usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.so.1.2 from install of fglrx-4.3.0-3.11.1 conflicts with file from package libxfree86-4.3-32.1.100mdk

Soooo what do i do at this point?

Linux Guru
    You have to use --force option:

http://ati.com/support/infobase/4479.html

Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

Linux Newbie
    alright i ran that in the console and it gave me this message:

*** Trying to install a precompiled kernel module.
    *** WARNING ***
    Tailored kernel module for fglrx not present in your system.
    You must go to /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod subdir
    and execute './make.sh' to build a fully customed kernel module.
    Afterwards go to /lib/modules/fglrx and run './make_install.sh'
    in order to install the module into your kernel's module repository.
    (see readme.txt for more details.)

As of now you can still run your XServer in 2D, but hardware acclerated
    OpenGL will not work and 2D graphics will lack performance.

failed.
    *** Error: no kernel module build environment - please consult readme.
    Installed: qt3 (gcc 3.2) based control panel application
    ===
    ATI display drivers successfully installed
    please run 'fglrxconfig' now

at this point i ran fglrxconfig and i used it to configue (more then a video card ?) the keyboard mouse etc

when it got to the video card it had options for resoultion and gamma as well as other things but it didn't have any part where i configue for video in

(it had a part where i was asked if i wanted to turn on tv out i said yes but i tested it and it doesn't function. i don't really care about video out but my card has it so i tested it out)

i would like to say at this point that i can fully configue my card to display properly and even have 3d acceratied functions (like for tuxrace) but i can't get video in (composite) to work.

anyone know how to fix this?

Linux Guru
    I don't know about the official ATI drivers. The Gatos ATI drivers supposedly supprt TV-in.

http://gatos.sourceforge.net/ati.2.php

Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

Linux Newbie
    uh i downloaded ati.2-4.3.exp10-0.1mdk.i586.rpm and itstalled that. it reports that it is installed.

but nothing happens. i can't see any signal when i use xawtv or anything else.

so i thought that if i tried installing AVveiw something might work (i didn't have much hope in this) but i gave up when i got confused at the install instructions (did i mention that im slightly new to linux).

right about now i would love to hear from someone that actually got their ati card's video in functions to work (just to see that it is possible) and i wouldn't mind if some of you other people that have got tv tuners to work tell what you have card wise and your disto of linux (and price if you don't mind i am a poor guy)

well if i can get this working before december i'll be glad

Linux Newbie
    [bump]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast