Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Problem with network connection

I have transplanted a disk into an old machine due to a system failure.
    It now boots completely. But it is failing to detect the ethernet card.
    It has one on the motherboard which I believe is faulty so I have disabled it in the bios. There is a second card. This works under Knoppix but is not being detected as eth0 on boot under mandriva.
    ifconfig -a does show an eth2 though.

Can anyone help me solve this?

I would say the the driver for this card is not installed. Take a look at the output of this command for info for the card.
    Code:
    lspci
    Look for the network card that you want to use, and then search for a driver for it.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Well that indicates that i have a realtek rtl 8139
    lsmod says that I have 8139too anbd 8139cp present.

If I am working this out correctly this means I already have the drivers present?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    It seems that there are two different drivers loading for the same card. I checked my kernel source, and there are indeed two drivers listed for the rtl8139. I am not sure which one you should use. I'll give you the info that the kernel gives, and see if it helps.

RealTek RTL-8139 C+ PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter support (EXPERIMENTAL)

This is a driver for the Fast Ethernet PCI network cards based on the RTL8139C+ chips. If you have one of those, say Y and read the Ethernet-HOWTO, available from <http://www.tldp.org/docs.html#howto>.

To compile this driver as a module, choose M here: the module will be called 8139cp. This is recommended.

RealTek RTL-8129/8130/8139 PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter support

This is a driver for the Fast Ethernet PCI network cards based on the RTL 8129/8130/8139 chips. If you have one of those, say Y and read the Ethernet-HOWTO <http://www.tldp.org/docs.html#howto>.

To compile this driver as a module, choose M here: the module will be called 8139too. This is recommended.

The How-To document that it is referring to must be this one:
    Linux Ethernet-Howto: Vendor/Manufacturer/Model Specific Information

Nothing of real importance there.

I would think that your card uses the 8139too driver. So remove the other driver and see if the card will now work.
    Code:
    modprobe -r 8139cp
    If this doesn't do it, then try this.
    Code:
    modprobe -r 8139too
    Code:
    modeprobe 8139cp
    If you find that one of the drivers works, I would then blacklist the other one. Let me know how this works out.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Those commands have no effect I am afraid.

Unfortunately, you are not alone on this. Another user has posted with the exact same problem, and he tried removing the modules too.

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/lin...ard-issue.html

This doesn't really help you, but maybe you guys can join forces on this problem.

I am beginning to wonder if this is a bug in the kernel. Maybe try an older kernel, and see if it will work.