Find the answer to your Linux question:
hello Linux gurus, I am a newbie. I have successfully downloaded and installed Mandriva Distro. I installed the distro on an older PC and audio is working well though i've ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Smile intsalling iTunes

hello Linux gurus, I am a newbie. I have successfully downloaded and installed Mandriva Distro. I installed the distro on an older PC and audio is working well though i've not tried video yet. And yes, my wifi was recognized automatically...God i thought that i was using windows...will almost. I downloaded iTunes for Linux. So, now how do i install the program. I have the Setup.exe sitting on the desktop. From what i have read Linux doesn't do .exe files. I think i may like this life once i am used to it. cheers and beers to all

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    There isn't an itunes for Linux AFAIK. Are you looking for a media player or a way to transfer files to your ipod?

Just Joined!
    daarkchild, don't know what AFIAK means...anyway i was looking for a way in which to download music using Linux. i am new at linux and am seeking advice. thank you

"As far as I know".
    Pete

Sorry, I didn't read the rest of your note. Frostwire is reasonable for music and video downloads, I think. I have used it a couple of times so I know it works but I'm not a regular.
    You should find it in one of the Mandriva repos which is the easiest way to load any program.
    Pete

Just Joined!

itunes on Linux

So, frostwire is located where? Since i downloaded iTunes as an .exe file i know that linux won't install it...correct? as linux does not recognize .exe files. I'll try your suggestion Peteh. thank you

Well. as I said. the best way to instal is to find it in a Mandriva Repository. Otherwise you can look here.
    The RH/fedora version should work for you. Use a terminal window to rpm it and make a note of any missing dependancies if necessary.
    Pete

Bill,

Simply finding a way to download music is easy, and can be done in many ways. But if you're looking for an iPod solution, you may have a bit more trouble. iPod support is spotty in Linux due to the highly proprietary nature of interacting with an iPod. I have never, ever had success installing iTunes via Wine or some other Windows compatibility layer (although some people may fare better). I actually dual-boot to OS X now, but when I used only Linux, I liked to use Banshee as my iPod sync'ing program. If I remember correctly, it can really only do music and podcasts; videos are a no. For a more comprehensive iPod syncing program, try gtkPod; however, this is for syncing only, and it's not really a media player.

Some programs, like Rhythmbox, have support for playing from iPods, but not for syncing them. Note that if you're looking for a music downloading program, you're adding another layer of complexity.
    Registered Linux User: #479567
    Asking a question? Read this page first.
    Now... sudo make me a sandwich.
    ratiocinativeroot.blogspot.com

Just Joined!
    peteh, thank you i'll muck around a bit and see if i can figure this thing ouot. i tried linux several years ago and gave up...i'll not be givinig up this time. thanks from the newbie

Just Joined!
    Daniel, thank you for the post. as you can maybe tell, i am new with linux. as mentioned in other posts, i tried it several years ago and gave up. i am going to give it another go. i am confused on how to install programs. at present my internet connection is really slow but i am able to connect using mandriva. i am not actually concerned with iPods and iTunes per se...i'll check your suggestions for downloading music. Thanks alot friend