Hello,

I have installed Mandrake amd64 on my desktop and everything works except the USB Thumb drive. I can see it in Harddrake under Storage but the Module is stated as Unknown. Also at the bottom of the list is Unknown Devices and the USB drive is there and also states that the module is Unknown.

I've tried mounting it in various ways and even edited my fstab. Here is a copy of the fstab, tail -f /var/log messages and a module list.

An interesting thing is that posted in the messages log is FATAL Scsimon not loaded. The Kernel is 2.6.3.11

Sep 5 19:59:56 localhost kernel: usb 3-2: new high speed USB device using address 13
Sep 5 19:59:57 localhost modprobe: FATAL: Module scsimon not found.
Sep 5 19:59:57 localhost kernel: scsi9 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
Sep 5 19:59:57 localhost kernel: Vendor: Generic Model: STORAGE DEVICE Rev: 1.02
Sep 5 19:59:57 localhost kernel: Type: Direct-Access ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Sep 5 19:59:57 localhost kernel: SCSI device sda: 512000 512-byte hdwr sectors (262 MB)
Sep 5 19:59:57 localhost kernel: sda: assuming Write Enabled
Sep 5 19:59:57 localhost kernel: sda: assuming drive cache: write through
Sep 5 19:59:57 localhost kernel: /dev/scsi/host9/bus0/target0/lun0: p1
Sep 5 19:59:57 localhost kernel: Attached scsi removable disk sda at scsi9, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
Sep 5 19:59:57 localhost kernel: Attached scsi generic sg0 at scsi9, channel 0, id 0, lun 0, type 0
Sep 5 19:59:57 localhost perl: drakupdate_fstab called with --auto --add /dev/scsi/host9/bus0/target0/lun0/part1
Sep 5 19:59:58 localhost scsi.agent[8120]: disk at /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.2/usb3/3-2/3-2:1.0/host9/9:0:0:0

Module list,

Module Size Used by
vfat 11520 0
fat 37824 1 vfat
loop 11152 0
sg 33456 0
md5 3584 1
ipv6 206848 6
sd_mod 14240 0
parport_pc 26400 1
lp 9968 0
parport 29196 2 parport_pc,lp
snd-seq-oss 25344 0
snd-seq-midi-event 4608 1 snd-seq-oss
snd-seq 37568 4 snd-seq-oss,snd-seq-midi-event
snd-pcm-oss 45220 0
snd-mixer-oss 15104 1 snd-pcm-oss
snd-intel8x0 25036 1
snd-ac97-codec 51076 1 snd-intel8x0
snd-pcm 66596 2 snd-pcm-oss,snd-intel8x0
snd-timer 16520 2 snd-seq,snd-pcm
gameport 2048 1 snd-intel8x0
snd-page-alloc 7432 2 snd-intel8x0,snd-pcm
snd-mpu401-uart 4864 1 snd-intel8x0
snd-rawmidi 16544 1 snd-mpu401-uart
snd-seq-device 5516 3 snd-seq-oss,snd-seq,snd-rawmidi
snd 33768 14 snd-seq-oss,snd-seq-midi-event,snd-seq,snd-pcm-oss,snd-mixer-oss,snd-intel8x0,snd-ac97-codec
,snd-pcm,snd-timer,snd-mpu401-uart,snd-rawmidi,snd-seq-device
soundcore 5664 1 snd
af_packet 17292 2
hid 39040 0
raw 8320 1
ide-floppy 14720 0
ide-tape 30624 0
ide-cd 37640 0
cdrom 32040 1 ide-cd
floppy 54264 0
r8169 9732 0
nls_iso8859-1 4224 2
ntfs 74712 2
supermount 34344 2
nvidia 2318824 12
usblp 10368 0
usb-storage 64324 0
scsi_mod 99168 3 sg,sd_mod,usb-storage
ehci-hcd 20484 0
ohci-hcd 15364 0
usbcore 77808 7 hid,usblp,usb-storage,ehci-hcd,ohci-hcd
rtc 9352 0
ext3 95088 3
jbd 41904 1 ext3

fstab,

/dev/hda8 / ext3 defaults 1 1
/dev/hda6 /boot ext3 defaults 1 2
none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0
/dev/hda7 /home ext3 defaults 1 2
/dev/sda /home/usb auto sync,noauto,user,exec 0 0
/dev/hdb /mnt/cdrom auto umask=0,user,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,noauto,ro,exec 0 0
/dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom2 auto umask=0,user,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,noauto,ro,exec 0 0
none /mnt/floppy supermount dev=/dev/fd0,fs=ext2:vfat,--,umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-1,sync,codepage=850 0 0
/dev/hda1 /mnt/win_c ntfs umask=0,nls=iso8859-1,ro 0 0
/dev/hda5 /mnt/win_d ntfs umask=0,nls=iso8859-1,ro 0 0
none /proc proc defaults 0 0
none /mnt/removable supermount dev=/dev/scsi/host9/bus0/target0/lun0/part1,fs=ext2:vfat,--,umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-1,kudzu,
codepage=850 0 0

Since I've changed my lilo config, the fstab is a little different. I had entries for /dev/sda /mnt/pendrive and also where /dev/sda /mnt/removable but none of these entries worked.


After reading a post somewhere on the net, I am unsure as to if scsimon needs to be compiled into the kernel.

I installed Mandrake 10.0.2 on a hell (dell) notebook and have the same problem but have not checked into it.

Here is the output from the Devices file in the /mnt/pendrive dir. According to this information, the usb drive is there.

T: Bus=03 Lev=01 Prnt=01 Port=01 Cnt=01 Dev#= 14 Spd=480 MxCh= 0
D: Ver= 2.00 Cls=00(>ifc ) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS=64 #Cfgs= 1
P: Vendor=0781 ProdID=7101 Rev= 1.02
S: Manufacturer=SanDisk Corporation
S: Product=Cruzer Mini
S: SerialNumber=000145450
C:* #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=80 MxPwr=100mA
I: If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 2 Cls=08(stor.) Sub=06 Prot=50 Driver=usb-storage
E: Ad=81(I) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 512 Ivl=0ms
E: Ad=02(O) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 512 Ivl=0ms

Thanks for any information,