Find the answer to your Linux question:
is it possible to get the c header files for mandriva 2008.1 or mandriva one? If so, how?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Exclamation c header files for mandriva 2008.1

is it possible to get the c header files for mandriva 2008.1 or mandriva one? If so, how?

Just Joined!
    What header files are you after? For the kernel? If for the kernel you can install the "kernel-devel" package for the kernel you have installed.

Just Joined!
    im after the "C" header files...i have the kernel headers installed. When trying to install vmware, it asks for the location of the c header files that match the running kernel...im thinking the new Mandriva One distro doesn't come with them like the old distros did...

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    If you have the kernel headers installed it sounds like it is more a case of pointing the install script for vmware to the correct location. It would most likly not point to the correct location per default. On my 2008.1 machine I have the kernel headers in /usr/src/nvidia-current-169.12-4mdv2008.1. So navigate to your usr/src directory and have a look at what you have there, and point the install script accordingly. If you do not have the directory you need to install the kernel-dev package for the running kernel.

Just Joined!
    i thought i had the kernel source installed, but i didn't. I installed it and vmware said the source didn't match my running kernel even though they are the same version....i'll get it figured out...thanks for your help...

Just Joined!
    The vmware install script is very, very sensitive, so it is not good enough to just install the headerfiles for the same version number of the kernel, you must also make sure it matches all other aspects of your kernel. So in my case I have the nvidia kernel installed, s if I installed current-169.12-4mdv2008.1 it would not work. So make sure you installed the correct headers and you should be fine.

Just Joined!
    Ok...I auto updated my kernel and it installed 2.6.24.7-desktop586-1 and the source is 2.6.24.7-1mnb...it also left my old kernel installed. Can i just remove those kernel and reinstall one myself?

Just Joined!
    You can, but I would advice against it, it is always a bit of risk involved when you start removing kernels and "fiddling" with these types of things. Rather than removing the kernel suggested by mandriva, install the sources for that particular kernel. They are all in the repository so it is just a matter of installing the package, then point the vmware install script to the correct directory and you should be good.

Not sure if you need vmware specifically or if it is just a vm solution you are after. If it is any vm solution I'd suggest you try virtualbox as that comes as a supported package with mandriva. The neat thing with vbox is that if/when you update your kernel it will detect this by itself and recompile the stuff needed for vbox during the first start with the new kernel, very neat and handy. If you want to try virtual box the package is called vritualbox and sit in the contrib repository.

Just Joined!
    Alright...I might give virtualbox a try and i'll try to get the right kernel source installed...thanx 4 your help