Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
sudo doesnt work in Mandriva as far as I'm concerned, I tried the command kwrite /etc/inittab without it and same error appears, either as a root and as a regular ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

sudo doesnt work in Mandriva as far as I'm concerned, I tried the command kwrite /etc/inittab without it and same error appears, either as a root and as a regular user.

This just makes no sense. No sudo, and no command line text editors?

Let's do this step by step then.

As a regular user,
    Code:
    cp /etc/inittab ~
    kwrite ~/inittab
    Then change the 3 to a 5 as I said earlier, save, and close.

Now, as root,
    Code:
    mv /etc/inittab /etc/inittab.bak
    cp /home/juandiegouu/inittab /etc/
    I've guessed your user name as juandiegouu, but you should replace that with your real username.

Then reboot.
    Registered Linux user #388328 || Registered LFS user #15880
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII
    Need instant help? Try us on IRC -- #linuxforums on freenode

Just Joined!
    Hey that worked out great!
    Now it boots much faster and i can reboot and shutdown from the menu which I could not do before.
    Thanks a lot mate

Glad it worked out for you!

To explain what I did:
    Linux has the idea of "runlevels", each of which start different services, and have different levels of complexity. In most machines, runlevel 1 is very basic, with no network, and only one user (root) allowed. This is comparable to windows safe-mode.

Runlevel 2 typically allows multiple users, but without a network. Runlevel 3 switches on the network, and level 5 starts the full graphical user-interface (the command "startx" puts the machine into runlevel 5).

Level 4 is normally a spare which you can define yourself, while level 0 shuts the machine down, and level 6 reboots (so you can see why you shouldn't have the machine boot into level 0 or 6 as default).

You can see the definitions of the runlevels in the comments of the inittab file you posted here.

In changing the 3 to a 5 in inittab, you instructed the machine to default to runlevel 5 (graphical login, multiuser), instead of 3 (multiuser, but no graphics).

Understand?

I'd still love to know why you seem to have no command line text editors installed, or why sudo doesn't work....
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII

Just Joined!
    Yes I actually understand it and I think I am making a blog entry about that subject, as many users with nVidia card might have the same problem with this version of Mandriva at least (although I will have to do it in spanish as my english is not good enough :P)
    About the sudo thing I've been using Mandriva and Linux for a few months now and I understand that sudo is not supposed to work in Mandriva nor apt-get and so on, but its quite possible that I'm wrong as I'm a complete ignorant when we are talking about terminals and command lines :P.
    Anyway every single time I've tried to use it, it just says that there is not such command and this case was no exception. Although I've seen some tutorials around to make sudo work in Mandriva but haven't followed'em up to today.
    May be I should?
    Thanks again and is nice to be helped by you

Weird that Mandriva doesn't use sudo..... But, if it doesn't, I wouldn't mess with it unless I really understood it.

Another option that I forgot about is the "kdesu" command. This would have allowed you to open kwrite with root permissions in order to edit the inittab file.
    Code:
    kdesu kwrite /etc/inittab
    This would have been a little easier than other method I described, but I forgot about it!

The reason apt-get doesn't work with Mandriva is that Mandriva uses urpmi as its package management system. Apt-get is for Debian-based distros (like Ubuntu). You can find out more about it here.

(By the way, your english is great!)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2