Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
If this is of any help to any one that might have an idea of how to fix this, i had same problem with my Desktop that i had Linux ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

If this is of any help to any one that might have an idea of how to fix this, i had same problem with my Desktop that i had Linux on, i was trying to get my video card to detect correctly, and i changed the setup for it, then restarted and it gave me this same screen. I ended up having to reinstall Mandriva on there to fix it.

But on my laptop, i never changed any settings, i just did a fresh install and then started it for the first time and this happens.

When you get this after logging in

Last login: Sat Nov 1 17:51:35 on tty1
    [william@localhost ~]$ _

Try typing in

startx

And see if that takes you to the Desktop
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    I gave that a try. And it goes blank then pops up with same black screen and lots and lots of words. But, in the words it says something about the problem. Here is just some of the words it displays.

Fatal server error:
    no screens found
    giving up.
    xinit:Connection reset by peer (errono 104): unable to connect to X server
    xinit: No such process (errno 3): Server error.
    [william@localhost !]$ startx
    xauth: creating new authority file /home/william/.serverauth.5389

And then a whole bunch of other things it says but nothing that looks to important i dont think.

And this is on a laptop so obviously there is a screen, lol. Maby an error in the drivers being used for the monitor or the video card drivers?

Looks like a driver issue maybe. Did you run Mandriva in Live mode on the Laptop before the install, and if so did you get a screen then? If so, pop in the cd again and run it in live mode and look to see if any drivers needed to be installed while you are running in live mode.
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    When i do that, all i see are these options

Boot From Hard Disk
    Install Mandriva Linux 2008 Spring
    Rescue System
    Memory Test

By the way Mr. Canuck, I ran Mandriva 2008 for a short while and a while back on a Amrel RT 686 ,pentium 3 900 mhz, 256 mb ram. I am used to running a Gnome Desktop instead of KDE, which I know the cd version of Mandriva uses by default. So excuse my lack of expertise when it comes to KDE and Mandriva. I went to NimbleX because it worked faster on my Laptop with my low specs. My Ubuntu install is on my IBM Desktop and I run Gnome on it.
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    Oh no problem rokytnji. I appreciate you taking your time to try and help me. I know how computers are and how hard it is to pinpoint the exact problem. And since i really know nothing about Linux i am at a real loss. lol.

When i install Mandriva it gives me the option of using KDE or Ubuntu. I was testing KDE out on my desktop, so i stuck with that on my Laptop.

Would going to Ubuntu have any affect on this problem i am having? Or do both use same drivers and setup?

I guess you didn't burn the live version then. Is this the DVD version or cd version. Also if you boot into rescue system, that will just probably take you into a command line interface, which you are already led into when you boot up normally. Thats where local host login comes in. That is a command line interface. I don't have the knowledge to assist in giving you good commands to install the right module to get your screen going. So far I have just given you tame commands. This is a bit over my head, if you had a live cd it would be a little easier.
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    It is in a DVD format.

We are playing tag here, he he. If the Ubuntu distro you have is a live cd, go ahead and boot it up in live mode. One of the boot options should be run Ubuntu without any change to your computer. If you get a screen after booting up cd, That should mean the driver for your laptop video chip is included in the kernel. If have everything else working, like sound and wireless ,etc... and you like ubuntu, you can install it over the Mandriva install.
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast