Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Just realised you said Ubuntu. Did you mean Gnome?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

Just realised you said Ubuntu. Did you mean Gnome?

Just Joined!
    I am sorry i may have said the wrong thing. I only have Mandriva on a DVD. And when it installs it has option of using the KDE Desktop, or another desktop, which is think is Gnome.

Linux Guru
    Well, installing Gnome won't be a solution because it uses the same video driver included with the kernel to run KDE. What is getting me is that the DVD comes packed with alot more in it than the cd. I am also suprised you don't have a Live mode option. But I used the free 2008 cd download. You can try installing the Gnome Desktop and see if it works for you or not.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Ok i may give that a try. Thank you for your time and your help.

If any one else has any suggestions i can try please let me know i cant wait till i get it up and running

Linux Guru
    Found this at the Mandriva Wiki. Don't know if it applies to your laptop though

Blank display on laptop screen with Intel 810, 815, 830 or 845 graphics adapter

See also Image:bug_small.png Bug #34583. Due to an inherent limitation in the new version of the graphics driver for Intel video adapters used in Mandriva Linux 2008, it appears that some laptops which use older Intel chipsets - 810, 815, 830 or 845 - will display only a blank screen with Mandriva Linux 2008. While a fix for this is being worked on by the Intel driver developers, it is possible to work around the issue by using an older version of the driver. Experimental packages for the older driver can be found in the bug report, and may soon be made available as an official update.

Just Joined!
    Hmmm that is interesting. Does not sound like the exact problem i am having, but close to it.

Linux Guru
    Been doing a little searching and found a different command other than startx.

Try entering instead

startkde

You can also follow this post here

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/ubu...ual-error.html

And look through these posts also

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/sea...archid=1335564

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    Hi. It seems like Mandriva has a problem with your graphics card. At the command prompt, enter the username "root" (without the quotes) and the password you set for root at install time. After that run the command "XFdrake" (without quotes). This tool will help you configure your graphics settings and hopefully get you a working system. Once the card as been configured, run the commands "init 3" and then "init 5" (as separate commands, without quotes) to see if the GUI will work.

Just Joined!
    I tried startkde and that just threw up a bunch of text, and nothing seemed to happen.

I logged in as Root admin, and ran XFdrake, which got me to the video settings. It only has about 4 Nvidia drivers listed, i selected one of them, hit ok, and then hit test, and that did nothing, i tried all 4, all 4 of them with the same result. I tried changing the display settings and other things, still same result.

I exited that leaving the settings to what i thought they should be, and then tried running the init 3 and init 5 command.

It then makes the screen flash and comes up with same black screen and lots of text, lines of text with a green OK after each one of them.

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    Try using the driver labeled as vesa. If that does not work for you, then try the fbdev driver.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast