Find the answer to your Linux question:
Still very new to linux but have downloaded and installed kubuntu to one of many old computers I have. I wanted to test out some other distros and decided on ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How to get kppp dialer

Still very new to linux but have downloaded and installed kubuntu to one of many old computers I have. I wanted to test out some other distros and decided on mandriva linux one because it was available with kde which I thought came with kppp dialer. Reason I need kppp is the only way I have of connecting to web is with Verizon broadband wireless card. Kppp is the quickest and easiest way to set up internet connections with this device. I downloaded and installed mandriva to computer using iso disk and tho it has kde desktop lo and behold no kppp dialer. Can anyone walk me thru a way to install kppp to this system w/o internet connection? Many thanks.

oz
    forum.guy
    Kppp used to come with KDE, but I don't know if it still does, or not, or when they might have stopped including it.

If it's no longer included, you can find an RPM for it here:

Sophie: Rpm search

You'd need to download the Kppp RPM file, plus any dependency RPM files using a machine with an internet connection, then install them all to your machine. You should find an install software option somewhere in the Mandriva Control Center (assuming it's still called that). It's been a number of years since I've used Mandriva (it was Mandrake back then), so I can't give any info more specific than that.
    oz

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    These days most distros seem to have got away with installing dialers by default and prefer network manager. To install kppp in Mandriva, run the Mandriva Control Center, go to the software section and search for kppp. You may need to configure additional software sources if you installed from the One versions (the live discs). Go to easyurpmi and make sure you have added the various main, contrib, plf and updates repositories to your software sources.

Just Joined!

how to get kppp dialer

ozar and daark.child, thanks for your feedback. I went to mandriva control panel and searched but kppp dialer is not listed anywhere. It evidentally did not come with this version which is mandriva 2009 linux one kde4 i586 iso. As I said, I have no means to connect other than with the verizon broadband usb wireless modem. If I could get a friend to allow me to use their computer to download the necessary components needed, could someone please walk me thru step by step the procedure to do this. As stated, my knowledge of linux is 0. Thanks if anyone will take the time.

you could try use wvdial i'm not sure if the package is there in mandriva 2009 (it was missing in 200 you can use this instead of kppp

To get Kppp dialer, and a few other things, you need to install the kdenetwork package and it's depends (if any).
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    Thanks MikeTbob and scrarfussi for your replies. Neither kdenetwork package or wvdial are anywhere in the mandriva control center or anywhere else on this os. Can anyone walk me thru the process of using another computer to download the dialer to removable media and then install it into this os? Thanks.

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    If there is a way you could temporarily connect your computer to the internet, then I suggest you do that and install any packages you need. Trying to download from another machine can be very problematic because you will have to track all the dependencies required to install kppp. Another option is to get the Mandriva 2009 installation DVD and use it as a software source. I am sure that kppp will be on the DVD.

Just Joined!
    Thank you daark.child for your suggestions. I will see if a friend with ethernet will let me do that. Appreciate everybodies help.