Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi I am a new Mandriva user, and I have a few questions: 1. I am the sole user on my computer (it's a laptop). How do I access the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Newbie Help

Hi
    I am a new Mandriva user, and I have a few questions:
    1. I am the sole user on my computer (it's a laptop). How do I access the Konsole using root? Or better yet, how do I give my login root permissions?
    2. I am trying to connect to my home network whick consists of a Ubuntu computer and an XP computer. I tried using Dolphin and Konqueror, and in each case got the same reuslts:
    When trying to access the Ubuntu machine it would say "could not connect to host..."
    When trying to access the XP I can see the shared folders, but when I try to access them I get "the process for ... died expectedly."
    Now I was told that I should be using CIFS to do it, but can't seem to figure out how.
    3. How can I use the Konsole to print a document?

I am a little familiar with the basic SHELL commands, but still need detailed directions.

Thank you.

1. The simplest way to get a root shell in KDE is to open a Konsole and give the kdesu command, then enter your root password. You can do it from a menu or icon by configuring it to run the command kdesu bash.

You can give your user account root access to certain programs by editing the /etc/sudoers file (as root). For example the line "your_username your_hostname=/sbin/yum" will let you run yum from a single computer. If you replace your_hostname by ALL, you can run the command from any computer on the network. "your_username ALL=ALL" gives you root access to all programs, but that's probably not a good idea for security reasons. You still have to use kdesu before the command but now you can use your own password.

3. You should be able to print from the command line using lpr
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"