Find the answer to your Linux question:
I just installed Mandriva PowerPack 2009 and I am trying to get my Windows installation that is on a second hard drive to boot. I had it working under Mandriva ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Booting Windows on second hard drive with Grub

I just installed Mandriva PowerPack 2009 and I am trying to get my Windows installation that is on a second hard drive to boot. I had it working under Mandriva One 2008.1. I haven't made any changes to that drive. My grub device map shows that drive as drive /dev/sdb which is second in the list. I am aware that you have to fool Windows into thiinking it is on the first drive to get it to boot with grub. I did the map command and I thought the grub entry was all correct, but when I try to boot Windows I get the error "No such partition".

Here is my device map.

(hd0) /dev/sda
    (hd1) /dev/sdb
    (hd2) /dev/sdi
    (hd3) /dev/sdc
    (hd4) /dev/sdd

Here is my grub file menu.lst file.

timeout 10
    color black/cyan yellow/cyan
    gfxmenu (hd0,0)/boot/gfxmenu
    default 0

title linux
    kernel (hd0,0)/boot/vmlinuz BOOT_IMAGE=linux root=UUID=bf7abc6c-2430-4ca6-abf3-5a6072847a80 resume=UUID=c8448c72-52fa-4924-bfa0-df5dd3c6b931 splash=silent vga=788
    initrd (hd0,0)/boot/initrd.img

title windows
    root (hd1,0)
    map (hd0) (hd1)
    map (hd1) (hd0)
    chainloader +1
    makeactive

Any ideas on what I am missing or where I went wrong? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Just Joined!
    Hi, this isn't an answer, but a question for you mpmackenna. I'm currently running Mandriva 2008.1 Linux on my computer. I'm now trying to install Windows XP on a second hard drive on the same computer, but everytime I try it says that partition that Windows boot loader must go onto isn't a Windows comptabile partition (noticing i'm running Linux off ext3, it's true)..but how did you get your Windows to work with Linux originally? How did you get past that error during installation of Windows? Did you have Windows installed first, then install Linux? Or Linux, the you installed Windows?

Windows

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Nuker View Post
    Hi, this isn't an answer, but a question for you mpmackenna. I'm currently running Mandriva 2008.1 Linux on my computer. I'm now trying to install Windows XP on a second hard drive on the same computer, but everytime I try it says that partition that Windows boot loader must go onto isn't a Windows comptabile partition (noticing i'm running Linux off ext3, it's true)..but how did you get your Windows to work with Linux originally? How did you get past that error during installation of Windows? Did you have Windows installed first, then install Linux? Or Linux, the you installed Windows?
    The issue lies in the fact that Windows always assumes that it is the first drive and that it is all alone in the world. I think based on your description that Windows is trying to install the boot loader to the first disk that is formatted with ext3. The quick and dirty way to get around this is to either disable that hard drive in your BIOS, or pull it from the machine. That way when it goes to install the boot loader there is only one disk for it to install it on, and that disk is your Windows NTFS/Fat32 formatted hard drive. I hope that helps. Please let me know if I can be of any other assistance.

Hi mpmackenna !

Post the output of fdisk -l command here.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Funny story

Quote Originally Posted by devils casper View Post
    Hi mpmackenna !

Post the output of fdisk -l command here.
    So, I decided to try booting into the Windows recovery console and running fdisk /fixmbr but I was half awake and you know how there are two different screens. One you hit R to get to recovery console and the other you hit R to repair a windows installation. Well I wasn't paying attention and I started a windows installation repair which effectively hosed my windows install. So I ended up blowing away that partition and reinstalling windows. After that Grub recognized the new windows partition just fine. So there must have been something screwy with that drive's mbr. Unfortunately I never got a chance to see if running fdisk /fixmbr would have fixed it. Thanks so much to everyone for all of the help. I appreciate it.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the advise mpmackenna. It worked. Now, I just get to have the fun of configureing the grub and bootloader so they regonize each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Nuker View Post
    Thanks for the advise mpmackenna. It worked. Now, I just get to have the fun of configureing the grub and bootloader so they regonize each other.
    That's not too bad really. You can usually use the Grub command line to figure out where Grub thinks your windows disk is and then write your grub menu.lst file accordingly. Check out this link for how to use the Grub command line to find your windows hard disk assignment.
    grub page
    You will also need to add map statements to the menu.lst entry since your Windows HDD is your second drive.
    When it's done your menu.lst entry will look something like this....
    Code:
    title Windoze
    rootnoverify (hd1,1)
    map (hd0) (hd1)
    map (hd1) (hd0)
    makeactive
    savedefault
    chainloader +1

Just Joined!
    The catch to booting Windows from a second disk (hd1,0) and using the map commands is that the second disk becomes (hd0,0) after the map. Therefore, what worked in my menu.lst (on Ubuntu 9) for an XP partition on a second disk was:

map (hd0) (hd1)
    map (hd1) (hd0)
    root (hd0,0)

For example, I have a Windows XP partition on my primary IDE controller master disk (followed by Ubuntu root and swap) and a second Windows XP partition on my primary IDE controller slave disk, which I use for testing IE 8. Thus, my menu.lst entries for the Windows partitions is:

title Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    root (hd0,0)
    savedefault
    makeactive
    chainloader +1

title XP Pro IE 8
    map (hd0) (hd1)
    map (hd1) (hd0)
    root (hd0,0)
    savedefault
    makeactive
    chainloader +1

Note that both have their root set to (hd0,0).