Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I have a pc with Mandriva 2008 installed and it is connected to a switch on the workgroup with a ClarkConnect server running samba and 5 windows xp pc's. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

How to Use Mandrive 2008 as client to linux server & windows workgroup

Hi, I have a pc with Mandriva 2008 installed and it is connected to a switch on the workgroup with a ClarkConnect server running samba and 5 windows xp pc's. The new pc can access the internet vis the switch and an adsl router.

I need assistance with the steps to login to the network. On the windows pc I setup the group but where do I do this on Mandriva.

I have played with the gui and can see one of the devices on the server but have no permissions for same. The server has some spare "users" (windows xp) - can I use one these?? If possible, I should only need to make changes to the Mandriva terminal.

Await some direction. Regards,
    Bill

Linux Newbie
    No advice yet.. I just noticed a posting in the network forum where Samba was req'd on the Client to connect to a windows workgroup. Should I install Samba?? The server has Samba.

yes, install Samba (client at least to access the windoze network).I would also advise installing smb4k, as my experience has been that more programs work correctly accessing remote info. through a mounted net drive w/ smb4k. (I never could get openoffice to save a file correctly by clicking save, etc..) You can configure SMB4k with the correct domain/workgroup to join - Loy.