Find the answer to your Linux question:
So I have just bought an Acer AspireOne netbook with Linux. I am a mac user normally and kinda miss having a standard desktop, I don't really like the one ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

newbie install question

So I have just bought an Acer AspireOne netbook with Linux. I am a mac user normally and kinda miss having a standard desktop, I don't really like the one on the Aspire. My question is how easy is it to install Mandrive as I have a disk with it and lots of other apps.
    I figured that if I am gonna do it now would be best before I have lots of stuff saved that need backup etc. I am completely new to Linux and as far as the Mac goes I am happy doing an install but not alot else. So.. where do I start?

Thanks in advance

Gari
    Last edited by garibeet; 11-10-2008 at 05:06 PM. Reason: reslly bad typos!!!

hi,

mandriva is easy to install. If you whant use your whole disk you need to "choose use entire disk" during the installation. If you want dual boot with the current installation just pick the default setting. That's all ... enjoy!

Just Joined!
    OK , so I installed Mandriva this afternoon, took about 3 hours, is that normal?
    I have a few issues, the speakers do not work despite the volume being at 100%, as I don't know he menus etc I am struggling to see where the on/off button is. This brings me to the fn key, it doesnt work which makes me wonder if the functions are only usable with the original software?
    Last but not least, I cannot get the wifi to start. On the Aspire there is a small push switch on the front of the unit that turns on the wireless function shown by a small light, the light no longer comes onwhich means I have no idea if it is on permanantly or at all.

Anyone have any ideas or do I reinstall the original linux that came with it?

Thanks
    Gari

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    hi,

is not normal take 3 hour for installation, but that depend on your hardware. check the "netapplet" under system tools for your wifi. Also, you can check network applet in the task bar, probably the scanner recognize your wifi but your need to enter the key or whatever password/key your need to access your wireless router. This is a one time deal, after that it should recognized automatically everytime your start up. For your audio check the sound applet in the taskbar and see how are the settings there, if not go to control "Configure your Desktop" then to sound and check your settings.
    Let me know how it goes.