Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi Mandriva Users. Any comments on using Mandriva as a small Business Server??? We have a ClarkConnect 4.1 Gateway, File, Mail & Proxy Server with 6 windows xp clients. The ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Mandriva as a Small Business Server

Hi Mandriva Users.
    Any comments on using Mandriva as a small Business Server??? We have a ClarkConnect 4.1 Gateway, File, Mail & Proxy Server with 6 windows xp clients. The server also runs Hylafax with two ext modems and the clients use Cypheus for faxing.

While CC is very good the lack of a GUI means we need tech support when it is not always available in Papua New Guinea. CC recently wanted USD75 just to advice they are not able to assist!!

I have just installed Mandriva 2008 on a pc and it accepts our Sata Hdd, Maxtor ext usb Hdd, USB flash, and a NIC all that CC has a problem with. I am learning Linux very slowly and the Mandriva GUI is a big help.

I have yet to test Mandriva with a dual serial port card (2 x ext modems).

What have I missed out???

Appreciate comments from anyone who is using Mandriva in a similar environment.

Regards, Bill

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    I don't see why you can't use Mandriva as an SBS. Its internals are pretty similar to Red Hat (it is a fork of Red Hat) and it has very good GUI config tools for admins who prefer working in the GUI or are not well versed with the CLI. I think Mandriva even has specific products for businesses e.g. Mandriva Corporate Server.

Linux Newbie
    Thanks daark.child, Mandriva show Corporate Server 4 on their web site and I guess if Mandriva 2008 will load ok then Corp Server 4 will. Anyone out there using Mandriva as Gateway, Proxy, File & Mail Server.
    We also divert our emails through ClarkConnect in Canada and this has reduced spam by 80% but I guess others offer this service. Bill

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close