Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've just set up mandrake 10 and am using it as a router. I just have a few questions. 1) how do i configure it so my windows machine and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Using Mandrake 10 as a router

I've just set up mandrake 10 and am using it as a router. I just have a few questions.

1) how do i configure it so my windows machine and use a static ip? i've set this up in windows but can't access the net unless i have it on automatically assign address.

2) I have set the mandrake fire wall to allow everything but its still blocking my emule connection. how do i go about forwarding ports.

current setup is:

1Mb cable connection----linux box----switch-----pc1

Linux Guru
    1) I'm not sure what you mean here. Can you give a little more detail?

2) You can use the firewall config GUI in MCC, or you can manually edit the shorewall rules file to allow for traffic through the emule port (not sure what port it is).

Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

Just Joined!
    Actually, I have the same question

Except I have basic dial-up on my Mandrake 10 box, and a [SOHO broadband] router connected to eth0

All I need is for drake 10 to provide one node wit a fixed address (router) with an internet access, and access to the drake box itself.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Linux Guru
    Here's my setup:

MDK ----- DHCP/net
    |
    192.168.0.1 ------ Laptop MDK 192.168.0.3 ------ PC WinXP 192.168.0.2

I setup eth0 as DHCP and the gateway on the server. I setup eth1 as static IP with gateway as eth0. All this can be done using firestarter - http://firestarter.sourceforge.net/. MCC can also be used, but it's a very robust setup using shorewall and transparent proxie through squid. That's a bit much for a three or four node network. Setup the others as static with gateway set to 192.168.0.1.

Hope this helps!
    Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

Just Joined!
    Firestarter tries to convince me that my modem is not connected (makes me wonder how am I posting that reply... daydreaming?).

Do you start from firewall, of some scripts should be edited first in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts?

Thanks
    Alex