Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Originally Posted by merin_83 Hi, I have installed Mandriva 2009, from the login screen I am able to login as a user. But how to login as a ROOT user ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by merin_83 View Post
    Hi,
    I have installed Mandriva 2009, from the login screen I am able to login as a user. But how to login as a ROOT user from the Login screen. From where and how i will be able to do this.
    Thanx,
    merin:
    Hi there !!!
    Just yesterday i installed mandriva 2009.

Yes ,it didn't allow me login as root in login screen.- Looks like they have provided it as security.

Anyway , once you login as normal user.Checkout tools option from start menu and click on terminal ....you can use su command to go for root mode...

That's what i did when i needed to mount partition which has movies...BTW mandriva
    --Really rocks I can see dvd movies with out any issues
    I'm very much impressed with it.
    First they ignore you,Then they laugh at you,Then they fight with you,Then you win. - M.K.Gandhi
    -----
    FOSS India Award winning ext3fs Undelete tool www.giis.co.in. Online Linux Terminal http://www.webminal.org

Smile

nothing much , but just want o know how to dao that, becoz in some other Linux version I had logged in, but in mandriva 2009 I am not able to, so !!

Smile

Just few days back ...way to login as root.
    Try that safe mode option from grub ...it will give u login from there
    use startx
    You are successfully logged into mandriva as root
    First they ignore you,Then they laugh at you,Then they fight with you,Then you win. - M.K.Gandhi
    -----
    FOSS India Award winning ext3fs Undelete tool www.giis.co.in. Online Linux Terminal http://www.webminal.org

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by ozar View Post
    Welcome to the forums!

At the login screen, you can enter:

Code:
    root
    ...then enter your password when requested

It's a very bad idea to always login as root so you should correct the user login issue as soon as possible and login that way in the future.
    You can't login as root from the graphical login screen. If you can login as an ordinary user, then pull up a console, and at the command line type: "su - l" (include the spaces before and after the dash). You are now actual root rather than superuser. You _can_ cd to the root directory and startx, but the system is going to yell about it. When you do this this the ordinary user will be on screen 0 and root will be on screen 1. You switch back and forth between these by typing <alt> F7 and <alt> F8.

Good Luck! As the old saying goes: Man who play around with root soon kill tree!

Michael

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2