Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello all, I'm just about to take the plunge and install onto my IBM 600X, before I do this are there any pitfalls anyone knows about? I'm totally new to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Mandrake 10 on IBM laptop

Hello all,

I'm just about to take the plunge and install onto my IBM 600X, before I do this are there any pitfalls anyone knows about? I'm totally new to this stuff, I just cba to pay microsoft any more money.

Dan

Linux Guru
    Linux laptop support can be a bit iffy in areas like power management. Good luck. Let us know how it goes for you! And welcome to Linux.

Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

Well, everything seemed to go swimmingly. Install was painless, found my PCMCIA network card straight away. I downloaded a file for my w/lan card and saved it in my home directory, but (and sorry if this a really stupid question) I don't know what to do with it. It's

rtl8180_linuxdrv_v15_rh90.zip

Thanks for any help

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I cant rember how to exract a .zip, the tar gz and bz2 externsions are much more common in linux, but try extracingthe file with something like ark.
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Remember that I'm a dope/noob. I extracted the files and saved them to my home directory, I'm confuzzled as to how to proceed.

Dan

Look for one labeld README or INSTALL drivers generaly have very individualized installation methods.
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Just Joined!

Laptop installs...

Hi.. I have been using Linux Distros for some time now on laptops.. the only problem i have seems to be with mandrake 10 comm on a packard bell m5 notebook, hanging after power down.. this i guess may be the way laptop screens are set to run?.. but other than that never a problem.. even on ibm notebooks..
    Paddi

When I extracted the zip file I ended up with this,

Just Joined!
    i know this doens't really help, but in general when you download something for linux and uncompress it, you should go into the console/command line and get to where you extracted them. from there usually

./configure
    make
    make install

will do what you need it to do. since it's a wifi card i dont know, i didn't see a configure file in what you posted... i'm assuming you looked at the readme file it has, if not it may have some direction for you.

Well, I did all that, the file is now part of the kernel (if that's the right phrase), but still nuts. If I run hardrake i can see my wifi pcmcia card, but when I run the config tool the list doesn't contain my driver. My wife is getting fed up with my laptop on the livingroom floor and I don't want a divorce.