Find the answer to your Linux question:
This is something never happened to me before: I was trying to install Mandriva 2008.1 to a kid's PC, but when the installation finished (with no errors), a nightmare have ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Unhappy Weird errors

This is something never happened to me before:
    I was trying to install Mandriva 2008.1 to a kid's PC, but when the installation finished (with no errors), a nightmare have started.
    The PC booted normally, with no errors, but after short time, the X server started to crash constantly. The error messages were about two particular components: mygtk and libdrakX. Since they are essential to the system, I could not use rpmdrake, nor mcc, and at the end the solution was to reboot the computer, but without any changes. I've checked the RAM, but without errors, then I've tried to install Mandriva 2008.0 and even Mandriva 2009.0 but there were always the same errors.
    I must admit, that the partitioning was not as regular, since I've shrinked an NTFS partition to gain free space, but then there were no problems at startup.
    The PC is a VIA chipseted motherboard with NVIDIA Gforce 3 card (64MB of VGA-RAM), and the loaded driver was for nvidia91xxx series. The PC has only 256 MB of RAMs, but I think that should be no problem. The error messages were about segmentation's faults to. I've ended with and old Ubuntu 6.10, with idiotic package managing philosophy, so I had to resolve the dependencies one-by one, since the synaptic won't add the DVD as repository.
    I don't know how to solve this problem with Mandrivas, but today was a sad day for Linux.

Any ideas for solution?
    If you need a CD/DVD catalogizer, give a try to my program:
    http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show...content=100682
    Linux Usert#430188

Just Joined!
    Was it running and then started to crash, or starting kde/gnome ?

libdrakX is referring to Mandriva's network tools library.
    mygtk is draketools.
    if you need to install a rpm at the console like draketools type
    Code:
    urmpi draktools
    and for the library type
    Code:
    urpmi libdrakx
    As root user though!

It is funny, that I'm using Mandrivas for 1.5 years now, and I've never encountered this error with my PC's. Now I can't install anything since I've wiped everything in order to install at least not crashing Ubuntu. I'm not at ease with the solution. The above mentioned packages should be automatically installed, since I've choosen regular KDE install with addition of development's packages. The troubled PC has only an ethernet card, no internet access. The urpmi worked for the installation of most the packages I've used, but the X crashed with no logical pattern, and it brought me to the login screen. The IceWm, which was also installed by default, is crashing to. I've used 2 different pieces of installation's DVD, since I use to create security copies of them upon downloading. It is still weird for me, I need some more explanations -ideas before I attempt to install it again, even I know that Mandriva is 10x times better than Ubuntu.
    If you need a CD/DVD catalogizer, give a try to my program:
    http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show...content=100682
    Linux Usert#430188

Just Joined!
    Must admit I've been using Mandriva since 7.x and I've not had this type of error.

The only time I've had some weird and wonderful problems is a bad memory module or a bad HDD.

I presume you did a check sum check on the iso's when you downloaded them.

It points to a corruption of some sort to me, After you resized the HDD did you let windoze check disk before you installed?