Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am (was) running Mandriva 2009 and KDE4. I was having problems with avi files. My friend suggested using Xine. So, I used the package installer to install Xine. When ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

[SOLVED] Help! I did something really stupid...

I am (was) running Mandriva 2009 and KDE4.
    I was having problems with avi files. My friend suggested using Xine. So, I used the package installer to install Xine.
    When I ran it, it didn't run. I saw in the terminal that there was a debug, so I ran that. It told me that I had a problem with the libxine, and to reinstall it.
    So, I went to the package installer (GUI is easier for me) and looked for xine libs. I found 2 that were installed. I don't recall exactly what they were, I think libxine1 and libxinerama1. Anyway, when in doubt... and I was going to reinstall them anyway...
    So I unclicked both of them. One of them told me that to satisfy package thingummies it would also uninstall all these packages (about 900 MB). I said, OK. And it did.
    When it was done, nothing worked. I couldn't run Firefox, couldn't find half of the system tools (including the package installer) and probably other things too, but that was all I tried to do.
    So, being an old Windows user, when in doubt, reboot.
    I did. The Grub came up, and so did the login screen, but when I entered the login name and the password, it didn't log on.
    I didn't get an error or anything, it accepted the login/password, blanked the screen, and then just popped back to the login screen.
    I could log on in a terminal, but apparently GUI is out.
    Right now I am using the Windows partition of my hard drive (that booted up normally, at least as normal as expected).
    So, what did I screw up, and how do I fix it?
    Thanks in advance (and retroactively to all of you who have helped me thus far)
    Last edited by Max2009; 11-30-2008 at 07:55 PM. Reason: spelling mistake
    Cogito ergo surf - I think therefore I network.

Registered Linux user #481826 Get counted!

There is something called as "dependency hell" which I learnt while playing with Fedora. Each package has some or the other dependency.. For eg. You have heaters in your room and boiler at the basement. There are 3 families and 3 rooms. You feeling hot and instead of closing your heater knob, you closed heater knob from basement! so all families are angry on you.. Similarly, all GUI applications need lib (library), some lib is dependent on other to work... for eg. there is a frame of a window on your screen, each and every application does not CREATE its own frame, it uses frame of ur DE (desktop environment)... so u removed dependant libs... now how to fix it:
    If you like GUI try this (if you have facility)
    put ur Linux cd and see if it has recovery option....
    if it doesn't hehe, wellcome to my favourite console...
    How to backup at worst state? - FedoraForum.org
    chk tht link, my friend is genius to resolve things like this... Read the instructions, get back up and reinstall everything!

Cheers!
    darkblue

Thanks, but the question is actually a moot point now.
    My computer is now FUBAR.
    I was using Windows Vista, since the Mandriva partition wasn't working. Well, now Vista crashed too (oddly enough) and took the whole computer with it.
    So, I have a nice reformat session in front of me. Fortunately I made a backup last Fri. so I'm OK.
    Wish me luck!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by Max2009 View Post
    Thanks, but the question is actually a moot point now.
    Maybe you mean 'mount point' in the first line... I laughed my guts out, I don't know why! lol

Vista crashed too (oddly enough)
    Ok I am not promoting Vista but there is something good about it too, seriously! stop laughing guys!!
    Its called "Win RE"... You could have recovered Vista from there by doing simple task like -> chkdsk /r and chkdsk /f.. or finally you could have done repair installation, that is choosing repair option when asked to install or repair after accepting the EULA

Wish me luck!
    Wish you luck

Again, I would still like to mention "Play with fire only when you know all escape routes"
    - darblue

regards

Of course I tried the recovery crap that Vista offered me, and it didn't work (duh).
    What did work was the Toshiba Recovery Disc, which restored my computer to an out-of-box state, clear hard drive and all drivers up and running. The downside of that is that installed Vista.
    Whatever. I'm more or less up and running now (on Vista). When I have the time I'll set up Mandriva again.

Problem solved!
    Hard drive formatted, all rememnants of Vista sent to cybernetic oblivian, and running Mandriva 2009, freshly installed from the live dvd.