Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, I downloaded and intstalled Frostwire, it never ask or tell what were the dependencies required during installation. I tried to run it but somehow it was not responding. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Frostwire Not Responding

Hi all,

I downloaded and intstalled Frostwire, it never ask or tell what were the dependencies required during installation.

I tried to run it but somehow it was not responding. Is Frostwire p2p even allowed with Mandriva. HELP please...

Linux Guru
    Did you just download the package seperately? I would advice against doing that generally but especially where P2P is involved. Try to install Frostwire through the Control Centre or using urpmi. That will fetch in from the online repositories and then sort out any dependencies for you.

If you can't find Frostwire in your search through Control Centre you might consider adding some of the PLF repositories. You can check our EasyUrpmi to get up and running. That should give you pretty much any software you require.

Just Joined!
    Yes I downloaded it seperately, since i could not find it through the MCC.

Anyway I have uninstalled the Frostwire and added the PLF repository(something new to me) and tried to search again for the mandriva version of the Frostwire, but still couldn't find it, I guess that explained it that Frostwire is not allowed in mandriva.

Anyway, I would like to know if there is any alternative to frostwire?

Thank you very much for your help bigtomrodney

Linux Guru
    Ah don't worry, it's not a case of it not being allowed but rather no one has packaged it up properly for Mandriva. This is the free and open side of the software world so there's none of that

As an alternative you could look at aMule, eDonkey or Gtk-Gnutella. You should be able to find one of them in your repositories. Also, make sure you refresh your sources before searching to include the new software.

As a sidenote, Frostwire and Limewire are both just Gnutella clients and all of the clients I've listed above connect to the same network as Frostwire.