Find the answer to your Linux question:
guys i'm lost. i tried to install ubuntu 8.10 it stopped after asking me to choose the language and it was a too early point to stop at. now i ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Help Me

guys i'm lost. i tried to install ubuntu 8.10 it stopped after asking me to choose the language and it was a too early point to stop at. now i am trying mandriva and it did the same it never asks for anything just when i enter the Boot choice it keeps doing things which i can't figure out and then stops at a command prompt. i'm very new to linux os in general but i really want to try it. my pc is amd athlon x2 and the vga is ATI Radeon which i think it gives me alot of troubles with ubuntu but i don't know about mandriva. please guys help me pleaaaaase.i made a 20GB unpartitioned for the mandriva. i booted from the CDRom it displayed a Mandriva screen with the choice to BOOT MANDRIVA and others F1 - help F3 - options and so on.i did entered the normal boot choice without any change but it stopped at the black screen with a message appears every few seconds i think it is about the network something like the ping command in windows. it says martian at 255.255.255.255 that's all. and no graphical desktop .i am sorry for the way i am asking you to help me but i am really scared and started to hate that . it is two operating systems failed to be installed on my pc.so forgive me for my bad manner and please help me.thanks for your time.
    Last edited by darkyears; 12-08-2008 at 02:00 PM. Reason: more explaination

Just Joined!
    Here's a link that kind of explains what martian packets are: Martian packet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you think your issue might be network related, try disconnecting your system from the network completely before trying the install.

You may also want to disconnect any other things like USB devices that you may have. Just get a basic setup going (monitor,mouse,keyboard) and see if you run into any issues with the install.

Maybe someone here will be able to shed a little more light on what you can do to get past your problem.

Best of luck!

Just Joined!
    thanks for your help but i think this trouble is about the display adapter which is ATI Radeon 2100 .it is what i think but i can't find someone who really knows and really want to help and thanks again for your time and for your help