Find the answer to your Linux question:
I got a copy of the install disk for Mandriva One 2008.1 a few months ago and it wouldn't install on my laptop due to a bad hard drive. I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Login & password required on new install of Mandriva 2008.1 - how do get past this?

I got a copy of the install disk for Mandriva One 2008.1 a few months ago and it wouldn't install on my laptop due to a bad hard drive. I finally got another drive and installed it. Now when I try to install Mandriva, it stops and asks for my user name and password even though the hard drive is not only blank, but apparently unformatted.

What should I do to install Mandriva? Thanks.

Hello and Welcome!

I've not ran Mandriva, so I might not be a lot of help. But here goes...
    Is it asking you to input some login info, or to set your info? If your not sure, try just typing root as a username with no password.
    NOTE: not advisable to run as root, but if you need to get through the install, go for it.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

oz
    forum.guy
    Welcome to the forums!

I'm not a recent Mandriva user, but I'm not aware of there being any default password being required for installing it, either. The hard disk will need to be formatted whether that's done through the Mandriva installer, or you choose to format it manually, yourself. The installation routine might ask you to supply a root password (or user password) during the installation, and you will need to give it one that you can remember.

Keep in mind that Mandriva 2009 is also available now, so you might have better luck installing it.

Do let us know how it goes.
    oz

Just Joined!

Thanks!

Thanks jayd and Ozar! I forgot about using 'root' as the user name. Shows how much of a Linux beginner I am. I have used Mac since 1985 and Windows since 2001, but I am just starting with Linux. I had a false start with the bad hard disk several months ago and had'nt read anything about linux since then. I had forgotten about 'root.'

I have more time now so I will learn Linux and use both Virtual Box to run Windows on my PCs and Mac-On-Linux to run system 9 on my Mac for the few programs I have to run on the Mac. As I learn the open source replacements, those will go away except for AppleWorks (because I have so many existing documents in that).

Thanks again.