Find the answer to your Linux question:
anyone have any idea for what reason mandrake will boot up until right before it would normally start the gui installer, and then it says cd rom error? ive tried ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

cd rom read error on install

anyone have any idea for what reason mandrake will boot up until right before it would normally start the gui installer, and then it says cd rom error? ive tried it with other versions with the same result e.g. suse 9.1, debian, and even the bootable cds (knoppix and suse 9.1 eval). they all get to the same point, about to start running and then it just stops with a cd rom read error. im stumped and i have no idea what to do. computer is brand new, and ive never had any problems installing linux on an older computer. note: i have also used 3 different cd roms all with the same result, so i would think its not a cd rom problem. pc is:

amd 64 3200
    1 gb ram
    msi k8n neo plat
    all the usual other stuff.

Linux Guru
    Are you using a 64 version of Linux?

Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

Just Joined!
    not that i know of? i download from linuxiso.org a 32 bit version wont run on a 64 bit chip?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    I'm not really sure to tell you the truth. But I know they make 64 bit versions, so maybe you should try one?

Good luck!
    Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

Just Joined!
    i dont see why that would make a difference. by that logic windows xp shouldnt run on this computer because its 32 bit.

Just Joined!
    Did you verify the MD5 checksum on the ISO? If the same CD gives that error in multiple drives sounds like the download is corrupted...if other CD's give that error then I would suggest making sure the ribbon cable connections are tight and the cable is good. Other than that, don't know what to tell you, sorry.