Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I just dumped Windows Vista, and installed Mandriva 2009 on my Compaq C762. It seems to be running beautifully as of now, however the shortcut keys on the laptop do ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Keyboard Functions

I just dumped Windows Vista, and installed Mandriva 2009 on my Compaq C762. It seems to be running beautifully as of now, however the shortcut keys on the laptop do not work, and the wireless works, but I cannot control it with the wireless button on the keyboard ( I think this is just a driver issue) and I setup power management to suspend when I close the lid, but it doesn't is this another driver issue. it isn't a big deal to just shutdown when I am done just sometimes it is just an extra step instead of just closing the lid and packing up
    Also some of my wireless software doesn't work (netstumbler, and inssider) they work under wine, but cannot find the wireless card that i know is working. I think this is because the software is looking for windows software like "netsh" and probably a windows driver, and the wireless card is using a native linux driver.

And suggestions would be great, thanks

I also recently made the switch from Vista to Mandriva 2009, and let me congratulate you.
    I also found that the power saving widget does not really do what it claims to, but I found a workaround.
    If you click the power saver widget, you get the option to hibernate or to suspend to RAM (what Windows called Sleep).
    Another solution is under Desktop Settings>Display>Power you can set it to sleep or hibernate after a certain period of non-activity.
    To control the wireless from the keyboard you need to set up a keyboard shortcut. I don't know how to do this yet (with any luck somebody will help me there) but you should watch this thread.
    As for the wireless, are you using a windows driver with nds wrapper or an original Linux driver? Which wifi card do you have? If it is Intel, go to http://www.intellinuxwireless.org/ and download the right driver.
    Good luck, and welcome to Linux!
    Cogito ergo surf - I think therefore I network.

Registered Linux user #481826 Get counted!

Just Joined!

Keyboard Functions

Thank you Max for your response ans awesome suggestions. I am a newb at linux, and so far as i said Mandriva 2009 is smoothly running, and the best part it isn't microshaft. the suspend to ram work great but when I try to setup suspend on lid close that doesn't seem to want to work, but no big deal, also maybe I just never noticed, but that fan doesn't seem to be coming on, but I may ave just never noticed, it's pretty quiet. I have an atheros 242x wireless card. The atheros website is kind of hard to navigate. and it isn't a keyboard ket is is on the top of the laptop next to the power button.

Theoretically speaking, it doesn't matter where the key is, it is recognized as being part of the keyboard, and therefore, programmable. I just don't know how to do that yet.
    About the card, try here.

Are using KDE4? Because if you are, I found a solution to the suspend on close lid problem.
    Open the package installer (Menu>Install or Remove Software), make sure it is set to display all (both pull down menus).
    Search for kpower. Install the program that it found.
    When it is done, remove the Powersave widget from your taskbar, the kpower one will show up instead. Right click, and set it up the way you like. All of the necessary options are there, you just need to find them and set them.
    One problem I encountered using it, I couldn't get the screen to lock on standby and such. It keeps throwing error code 1. I don't know what that means, but it seems to be working.
    How did the network card thing work out?

BTW, since there are many different kinds of desktops for Linux, on this forum (and probably on others) it is customary to start a thread (or post, as the case may be) by stating what version of Mandriva you are using, and which desktop environment.
    Good luck!

Just Joined!

Keyboard Functions

Unfortunatly, Max. I have been forced to switch back to Vista. I am really upset that I had to because I was really excited to be through with Microshaft. However, I am a computer consultant, and all of my clients are windows users. With that in mind, I need to be able to keep up with windows and it's problems, I have a desktop computer that is no setup right now and do plan on switching that in tyhe future. Thank you very much for your help, and I hope to talk to you soon regarding a new installation. Thanks again

You could be at least twin-booter. With Mandriva and MS. And you could advise your customers to switch...Anyway, if you change your mind...you can attach almost any actions to desired key combinations through Control Panel.
    If you need a CD/DVD catalogizer, give a try to my program:
    http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show...content=100682
    Linux Usert#430188

minthaka, I know that you can attach actions to keyboard combinations in the control panel, but how?!
    See this thread, 50 views and not a single answer!

This is a bug inside KDE4. Logically it should work but it doesn't.. I recommend you to switch back to Mandriva 2008.1. Believe me, it is a perfect release. Avoid the usage of KDE4 because it lacks stability. I'm using the mentioned version of Mandriva, and I didn't found other errors but the one with PulseAudio. Even it seems that 2009.0 is better, newer version, it isn't! It's a huge fallback.
    I'm writing this post from 2009.0 live KDE4 and you're right with the issue. But if you'd try 2008.1, you'd be amazed!
    If you need a CD/DVD catalogizer, give a try to my program:
    http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show...content=100682
    Linux Usert#430188

um, I only have the Mandriva Live DVD for 2009.
    I suppose I could find and download the 2008.1 (from a quick search now I found 2008 Spring on 3 CDs, but would like a single DVD), but is there an easy way to downgrade, or do I need to format the HDD and do a clean install?
    Or maybe I should wait for a KDE4 update?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast