Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
I want the beta. Moving from windows I guess I'm just trying all the things I did with windows to get a feel for mandriva. With ubuntu I installed fx ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined! sparkythewondersquid's Avatar

thank you again

I want the beta. Moving from windows I guess I'm just trying all the things I did with windows to get a feel for mandriva. With ubuntu I installed fx 3.1b2 and had no problems with the menu or launcher is there any thing else I should install? as far as just after installing mandriva?

Quote Originally Posted by neverus View Post
    Hmmm, only very simple packages with NO dependencies. For most newbies and command-line-phobes the urpmi system (especially the GUI) is far easier as it sorts out all that nonsense for you.

Terry

Very true... the only issue I have with the gui front end, is that you sometimes have to guess at package names, which can also be a daunting task for a new linux user. If you already have the tarball you need, it can be installed relatively simply, and if there are missing dependencies they will be noted in the output, and then located relatively easily by a resourceful user who may just not have a lot of experience with Linux.

As a side note, from my experience the urpmi package manager for mandriva is one of the better ones out there.

Quote Originally Posted by sparkythewondersquid View Post
    I want the beta. Moving from windows I guess I'm just trying all the things I did with windows to get a feel for mandriva. With ubuntu I installed fx 3.1b2 and had no problems with the menu or launcher is there any thing else I should install? as far as just after installing mandriva?
    It depends on how you installed Mandriva. If you installed from the Live CD, you'll definitely want to go through your urpmi and install some packages. The Live CD, while useful, is pretty stripped down and missing many key elements/commands.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close

I've been playing with urpmi

ok urmpi, I found a magazine with some info but am having trouble getting the "mirror list" as it says I do not know how to use this command line to find things or to add third party software sources a little nuge in that direction would certainly be appreciated

think this says it all much better than I ever could:

Urpmi - Mandriva Community Wiki

thank you :0

that is vary helpful thank you so muck

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2