Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I just started using mandriva and I am lost for one fsck does not seem to work. two: I cannot install tar.bz2 three: when I enter the sudo command says ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined! sparkythewondersquid's Avatar

I have some questions NEED HELP!!

I just started using mandriva and I am lost for one fsck does not seem to work. two: I cannot install tar.bz2 three: when I enter the sudo command says I am not in sudoers file there are no books (Ican find) on this system but I am interested in learning. If I could just get the basics I could go from there I know its may be a lot to ask but some basic commands please

Quote Originally Posted by sparkythewondersquid View Post
    I just started using mandriva and I am lost for one fsck does not seem to work. two: I cannot install tar.bz2
    Tar.BZ2 files are usually just source code. Therefore they must be compiled; you can't just double-click them like an EXE in Windows. The closest equivalent to that sort of thing is a DEB or RPM package.

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/lin...are-linux.html

three: when I enter the sudo command says I am not in sudoers file
    Most distributions don't use sudo by default. Ubuntu does. Mandriva lets you run a command as superuser if you log in with su first.

Code:
    su <enter>
    Password: <enter your root password, then press enter>
    runMyRootCommand
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

To install programs, you must go to the "Command Center". There you can search for the program you want and it will install it for you from a trusted source, called "repository". This way you avoid viruses and other malware.

Another option is from the command line. First you must become root, the way techieMoe said.
    To install a program:
    Code:
    urpmi <pkg>
    To uninstall a program:
    Code:
    urpme <pkg>
    To update ALL your programs:
    Code:
    urpmi.update -a
    urpmi --auto-select

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close

command not found

when I put in that command bash: command not found

when I put in that command bash: command not found
    Did you become root first? You can become as TechieMoe said:
    Code:
    su <enter>
    Password: <enter your root password, then press enter>
    urpmi vlc
    This will make you root and then it will install VLC media player.

You

Can also still install from a .tar.bz2 file...

navigate to the file's directory in a terminal window (this should be on your root directory)

tar -xvjf file.tar.bz2 (if using gunzip rather than bz2 it would be tar -xvzf)
    cd 'new directory'
    ./configure
    make
    su make install
    (enter root password)

Some packages are just less cumbersome to install by using the tarball rather than trying to locate in your urpmi package loader.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by mhanan View Post
    Can also still install from a .tar.bz2 file...
    Some packages are just less cumbersome to install by using the tarball rather than trying to locate in your urpmi package loader.
    Hmmm, only very simple packages with NO dependencies. For most newbies and command-line-phobes the urpmi system (especially the GUI) is far easier as it sorts out all that nonsense for you.

Terry

upmri worked for the media player I am still having a problem installing firefox 3.1b2 the way I did it in ubuntu does not work wanna help with that? thank you for the help I will have many questions in the short time I've been working with linux I LOVE IT!!

extracting is not the problem after I extract and go to directory I enter ./configrue and "command not found" the README fire just gives a link to the release notes page I'm stuck

Just Joined!
    Instead of ./configure do ./firefox

Mozilla do things differently from most. The downloads they supply are ready-to-run.

I assume you know that this is a BETA version of firefox 3.1. If you are just trying to get a browser working you would still be better off doing a urpmi firefox and installing the OFFICIAL 3.0 version from Mandriva. Doing it this way ensures that it gets properly integrated into the menu system etc.

Terry.
    Last edited by neverus; 12-26-2008 at 10:28 AM. Reason: Additional Information

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast