Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am really starting to love linux I am using mandriva 2009 the only thing that keeps me from getting rid of windows is through alltel I tether my phone ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined! sparkythewondersquid's Avatar

quicklink mobile tether alltel

I am really starting to love linux I am using mandriva 2009 the only thing that keeps me from getting rid of windows is through alltel I tether my phone to get the inter net the alltel people say there is no way to do it with linux but I've heard differant any idea's?

Mobile Broadband

I have found from personal experience that Fedora Core 9 & 10 works great with my Alltel Data Card, however, my brother couldn't connect with his tethered cell phone, and with my air card fedora sometimes would randomly mess up and freeze my system. Now I use Ubuntu 8.10, which works great with my air card plus my brother's tethered phone also works great with it!!! I am very pleased with Ubuntu's 8.10. It's powerful and works really fast and efficient. No freezing also...
    Note: Update to the latest "Network Manager" first thing you connect...Why?...Because the Mobile broadband disconnects every five to ten minutes. I don't know the details, but that corrects the symptom.

PS - Be persistent in updating package information, once that's done. Right click over the list and "deselect all" ,then find "network manager" and update it.

sorry if sloppy, and excessive extra info...btw working on trying to get a huawei to work...plugs in and detects it as a flash drive...what shows up..."alltel connect software for windows"...I want to detect it as a modem.

Just Joined! sparkythewondersquid's Avatar

thank you for the info

I have tried ubuntu (kubuntu) and had no luck with that what did you use? I am now using suse 11.1 I just got the install to take (had some problems) I have had people tell me that it will support tethering if you got it to work in ubuntu I would love to know how I love that distro and am waiting for jaunty to be released I have played with the alpha 3 but it is buggy a little please let me know what you used to get it going

No problem, The Distro.

The Distro I used:
    ubuntu-8.10-desktop-i386
    (the latest version): Includes the latest enhancements and is maintained until 2010
    "Gnome-Desktop"

Note: I downloaded "ubuntu-8.10-desktop-i386.iso"

Also, I think kubuntu geared toward KDE...I am more familiar with Gnome, so that's what I use.

How to?

I used my brother's Moto Krzr.
    From one of the menus, set it up as a "usb modem."
    Then teather your phone to the computer.
    In Gnome's top panel, right side, in the "notification area," you'll see the "NetworkManager Applet" icon, left click, look for "Mobile Broadband (CDMA) Connection" if it's there, connect to it.
    Done!

I didn't have to install or configure anything beforehand. (excluding Installing Ubuntu 8.10) of course

After your connected...
    Update to the latest "Network Manager" first thing you connect...Why?...Because the Mobile broadband disconnects every five to ten minutes. I don't know the details, but that corrects the symptom.

PS - Be persistent in updating package information because it may disconnect periodically, once that's done. Right click over the list and "deselect all" ,then find "network manager" and update it.

Hope it helps!