Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am using Mandriva 2009 KDE4. I seem to have a problem with my Wifi. When I try to connect to a network it says connection unsuccessful, verify settings in ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Wifi problems

I am using Mandriva 2009 KDE4.
    I seem to have a problem with my Wifi.
    When I try to connect to a network it says connection unsuccessful, verify settings in the Mandriva Control Center.
    What settings do I need to verify?
    It was working fine, and then the router at home strted acting up, it would randomly disconnect from the internet. When that happened, I could no longer reconnect to the home network! It still worked at school, but now it doesn't even do that anymore.
    I have an Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG network adapter.
    I have the iwlwifi-3945-1.ucode installed (I think, I had it installed, but when I went to MCC>Hardware it said to install that driver. I plugged into the router via a cable and did).
    This was after I upgraded the kernel to 2.6.27.7-desktop-1mnb
    Could that be a problem? I don't think so. I restarted Mandriva in the old kernel (2.6.27.5) and I still have this problem.
    A little help please?!
    Cogito ergo surf - I think therefore I network.

Registered Linux user #481826 Get counted!

Can other machines connect to your home network? I have the same Intel card in my laptop and I was getting similar connection problems with my wireless router (connections randomly and intermittently dropping). It turned out that the fix was to update the firmware on the router. I don't use Mandriva but I've heard that it's rather good with hardware detection and I'm surprised it didn't detect and install the drivers for you during the install because that's a fairly common card. Do you get any output from iwconfig?

Quote Originally Posted by Thrillhouse View Post
    Can other machines connect to your home network?
    The other machines connected to the router are an XP computer connected via cable, a Ubuntu computer connected via cable and an iPod Touch that can connect via wireless.
    It turned out that the fix was to update the firmware on the router.
    It is still under warranty and will be replaced soon.
    Do you get any output from iwconfig?
    Um, that's where it gets weird.
    Right now I am connected to the school network, even though a few hours ago I couldn't.
    And I do get a response from iwconfig, it gave me the statistics on the connection.
    I will check my home network when I get home in a few hours...
    Stay tuned!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    OK, this is just plain weird.
    I am at home, and my computer connected to the network no problem, I even get a decent speed on my torrent (Mandriva 2008.1).
    I'm gonna chalk it up to the phases of the moon and downgrade to 2008.1.