Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have Mandriva 2009 Power Pack and have a question about the boot menu. I'm a Linux newbie so I'm very confused about this but it seems since I've had ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question about Mandriva Boot Menu-multiple kernels?

I have Mandriva 2009 Power Pack and have a question about the boot menu. I'm a Linux newbie so I'm very confused about this but it seems since I've had Mandriva I've had several Kernel updates. At the boot menu I always just let it boot to default and had the following options:
    Boot Mandriva Linux 2009
    Boot Mandriva Linux 2009 Safe Mode

The problem is I now have 3 more options below:

Desktop 2.6.27.4-2.mnb
    Desktop 2.6.27.5-2.mnb
    Desktop 2.6.27.7-1.mnb

I assume these are each kernel updates but my confusion is when I boot into Mandriva Linux 2009 (the first default option) is it using the newest Linux Kernel or do I have to select Desktop 2.6.27.7-1.mnb?
    Do I need to delete some of these kernels as I update so I just have one?

Linux Guru
    In your /boot/grub/menu.lst file you will have a "default" entry near the top with a number after it. Counting from zero, go down the "title" lines to the entry that compares with the "default". That's what is booting. Generally, new kernel entries go at the bottom of the menu (I think?) so you are probably still booting the original kernel. The default entry you see on the boot menu is often highlighted also.

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    Uninstall any older kernels that you no longer need and their entries will be removed from the grub menu.