Find the answer to your Linux question:
Okay, I am new to Linux, yes a NewB... although I hate to admidt it. Anyway, I am NO newb to computers by any means. This is the dumbest thing ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Stupid network question... Mandrake 10.0...

Okay, I am new to Linux, yes a NewB... although I hate to admidt it. Anyway, I am NO newb to computers by any means. This is the dumbest thing ever, but for whatever reason, I can NOT get the stupid Internet to work on a basic install of Mandrake! My PC is going through a proxy server, and there is an auto config script, but when I tell it to go to the auto script, it hangs up the browser immediately. If I put in the information correctly, it just plain doesn't work. If I go to the network setup, everything is configured correctly (to my knowledge... it's all DHCP unless theres something in the world of Linux that I am missing) and the proxy information is dead on, but it says that there is no Internet Connection setup. I don't get it. Can someone please walk me through this... I feel so stupid

Re: Stupid network question... Mandrake 10.0...

Quote Originally Posted by WA2FAST
    Okay, I am new to Linux, yes a NewB... although I hate to admidt it. Anyway, I am NO newb to computers by any means. This is the dumbest thing ever, but for whatever reason, I can NOT get the stupid Internet to work on a basic install of Mandrake! My PC is going through a proxy server, and there is an auto config script, but when I tell it to go to the auto script, it hangs up the browser immediately. If I put in the information correctly, it just plain doesn't work. If I go to the network setup, everything is configured correctly (to my knowledge... it's all DHCP unless theres something in the world of Linux that I am missing) and the proxy information is dead on, but it says that there is no Internet Connection setup. I don't get it. Can someone please walk me through this... I feel so stupid
    This may not be your fault. I've had random weirdness in some versions of Mandrake, usually in the form of some piece of equipment or the other simply *refusing* to work regardless of how well supported it is in other distros. Sorry, I can't necessarily help fix your problem but I can at least let you know you're not alone and you're not an idiot!
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux Guru
    Try disablig "networking hotplugging". It worked for me, maybe it'll work for you, too.

Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Thanx for the quick response. At first, I was suprised at how good it picked up all of the hardware. The box has a ECS mobo, voodoo4 video card (it has a terrible driver loaded for it since it won't even do the open GL screen savers worth beans, so that needs to be updated...), and other than that, everything is integrated... LAN, just using plain ol' IDE HD and CD-RW drives. The integrated NIC, it did pick that up, but it always said [FAILED] when it tried to initialize it, so I disabled that and threw in a trusty 905B-TX that I had laying around. It picked that change up right away and corrected everything, but I still have the problem. I can ping other PC's on the network, but I can NOT get to the Internet no matter what. It simply says that there is no internet connection setup in the network settings although it's showing me the usage of the network. I don't get it... there has to be something I can do to fix this.

BTW, this is an install from the ISO's on www.linuxiso.org.

Just Joined!
    If you can ping other computers on your network, it seems your drivers are working ok.

Use the ifconfig utility to verify that your IP, netmask and gateway are being picked up correctly by DHCP. You should also check your /etc/resolv.conf file to verify that you have appropriate name servers.

Just Joined!
    If you can see other network user there is nothing wrong with the NIC or network but your gateway IP settings have to be incorrect. It has to know just how it is to get to the net. By this I mean that if your using a proxy server, this would likely be your gateway unless you have other servers behind the proxy server such as a web server that may be acting as your gateway server. Other things to check for is your IP's in your gateway settings to make sure you didn't accidently type a , instead of a . between the octets, as this is a common mistake. Especially if you were in a hurry or tierd when you put them in. Let me know if this helps you.