Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I recently went wireless. I installed a Netgear wireless LAN hub. My main PC is running Mandriva Linux 2007 official. I have 2009 for the upgrade but am reluctant ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

USB wireless adaptor

Hi, I recently went wireless. I installed a Netgear wireless LAN hub. My main PC is running Mandriva Linux 2007 official. I have 2009 for the upgrade but am reluctant to do this as 2007 is good and I dont like the new 2009 format. Anyway, the Netgear hub was instantly recognised and simple to set up. I have the spare PC in the other room running windoze, I installed the wg111 adaptor and all was good. Next was tjhe laptop which runs windoze and Mandy 2007. Windoze is OK but the Linux part of the laptop will not accept the wg111 usb adapter. It sees it is there in the hardware list. USBVIEW sees it. If I try to configure a wireless LAN it does it and reports success but it doesn't work. If I try to configure a wireless connection it fails by not recognising any wireless devices. If I try to configure a new internet connection as a wireless one it wants ndiswrapper to be installed (it already is). During this installation it finds ndiswrapper then tells me it needs some firmware and drivers. It points me to sourceforge BUT the only download from there is version 1.54. I downloaded this, unwrapped it but, logged on as root, when I run install I get "Permission Denied" Has anyone got any knowledge of what to do next please? I have copied the contents of the windows installation CD onto my hard drive as I believe ndiswrapper actually runs these programs. I also have installed knowlan, wlandetect and wlanfe. Thank you.

PS. I have done some editing to wlan.conf but I now need to introduce a module to the kernerl. I have tried but no success. How can I incorporate a wlan module into the kernel?

Have you thought about upgading to '08? Loy.

Just Joined!

Mandy 08

I have just got Mandy 09 both 32 and 64 bit. It is the KDE4 I dont like. I am going to try an upgrade but keeping KDE 3.5. That might do the trick. I will post the result. Thanks.

Just Joined!
    I went to www.linux-wlan and downloaded their latest offering (1.2.9 I think) and installed that. The installation failed. Tried to update to 2009 on a spare disc but the installation failed and now the disc will not boot. Mandriva does not like to upgrade, it seems to always force me to do a new install. Anyway, I tried a re-install of the linux-wlan package and I got it to go on. I have done all the editing recommended. If I look at the device in usbview it sees it. If I look in the hardware configuration list, it is there BUT it will not recognise the device at boot up. I have set it both as dhcp and as static and the system takes the wlan interface BUT it will not connect. I feel there is just 1 small thing missing here. I have tried ifcfg wlan0 and it says there is no device present. This is driving me nuts as it is my laptop I am trying to connect and, quite obviously, wireless connection is a must. I have noticed that windoze powers the wg111 from boot up but Mandy does not, the blue led does not come on.

Just Joined!
    OK, I have now upgraded to Mandriva 2009 and YES, it sees the WG111v3 adaptor. I now consider this problem solved and closed.