Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hey guys. I followed the above guide and everything seemed to install ok. But when I try to open the avi file, what ever program I am using just closes. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Avi Playback Issue

Hey guys. I followed the above guide and everything seemed to install ok. But when I try to open the avi file, what ever program I am using just closes. I have tried VLC Player, MPlayer, and Xine player. Anythiughts?

What guide are you refering to? Can you describe the exact problem you are having. Are the .avi files stored on your machine? Did you install win32codecs or w32codecs, search for it in your package manager and install that. Are you using Mandriva?
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    Sorry. Yes I am using Mandriva 2009. The guide I followed was about playing widows meadia files. I did install wim32-codecs and the file is on my hard drive. The problem is when I try to open the avi file, what ever program I am using jus closes.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Try launching the player from the command line, it usually gives more detail about what's going on.
    cd to the directory containing .avi file, then launch the player
    Code:
    mplayer filename.avi
    Substitute filename.avi with an actual filename of course and post back with any errors you get.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.

Just Joined!
    Tried running with the command line like you said and I didn't get any error messages. Just a button at the bottom of the screen that close after 10 secs or so.

Huh, that's weird, did you use mplayer? What happens if you just run mplayer from the command line, with no arguments or options.

Just Joined!
    I did use mplayer. If I type mplayer at the command line two icons pop up. An mplayer and one that says run mplayer. If I click on the first one mplayer opens and if I use the second one a icon appears at to bottom and then closes after 10 secs or so.

Mplayer should have two windows, one is the Mplayer controller window and the other is the Video playback window. Does the same thing happen when you run vlc or xine from the command line? This is pretty strange and I'm not quiet sure what to make of it. I suppose you could try reinstalling the modeia players and see if that helps at all. Any one else have any ideas?

Just Joined!
    Yep same thing happens with every player but xine. They all open fine and as soon as I try and open a video file it closes. Xine just closes as soon as I open the program. So to uninstall everything do I just do it through the Software Manager? Sorry Im am such a noob with this

I guess the only other thing it could be, is the codecs, but Mplayer should have spit out a message complaining about that if it didn't have the right codecs to play a video. Try looking in your package manager for "codecs" and see if anything might work. Did you install these players yourself or did they come installed in Mandriva by default?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast