Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am using Mandriva 2008.1 KDE 3.5 I started out on 2009 with KDE 4.1, but downgraded due to stability and bug issues. Now that 4.2 is out, I was ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Kde 4.2?

I am using Mandriva 2008.1 KDE 3.5
    I started out on 2009 with KDE 4.1, but downgraded due to stability and bug issues.
    Now that 4.2 is out, I was wondering if I could get it. I really did like the Plasma desktop in 4, and I would like it back.
    I read a couple of reports on 4.2, has anybody here tried it out? Could I get some more feedback on it?
    One of the things that particularly bothered me was the Power Saver widget, that didn't work at all, and when I installed the KPowersave (for 3.5) it didn't work properly. What do people know of this new PowerDevil tool? Are there any other known issues? (The KDE site claims no, but...)
    Is there a way for me to upgrade my KDE to 4.2? Is there a way for me to try it out, and then switch back to 3.5 if I don't like it? (A simple way that a newbie can understand?)
    Thanks.
    Cogito ergo surf - I think therefore I network.

Registered Linux user #481826 Get counted!

Be patient and wait two months till the Mandriva 2009 Spring is out. If there will be any usable version of KDE4 it would be included, or as I fear, set as the default DE.
    If you need a CD/DVD catalogizer, give a try to my program:
    http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show...content=100682
    Linux Usert#430188

Is that precisely 2 months? When does Mandriva Spring come out? On March 20 (Spring equinox) or sometime else?
    Will they come right out with a downloadable Live CD? That I think is the best way to try it out. If they, how hard is it to upgrade from 2008? Will I be able to or will I need to do a clean install?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Clean install is always the way to go, unless you just like pulling hair out.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

OK, the Mandriva blog claims it will be in April.