Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am running Mandriva 2009 and have a Pixart USB webcam. It is recognised in the hardware config as "CIF single chip". I downloaded and installed the correct gspca rpm ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Pixart webcam

I am running Mandriva 2009 and have a Pixart USB webcam. It is recognised in the hardware config as "CIF single chip". I downloaded and installed the correct gspca rpm and all is well. Ekiga sees the cam and gives a good picture. Xawtv does the same. Skype cannot see the cam (capture is on /dev/video0). Apart from the Skype problem, I seem to have no controls for the cam. I need to flip the image for all output and I need to do colour adjustments for Xawtv. I also need to get Skype to see it. Has anyone got experience of this cam and any controls I can install? Am I missing a program within Mandy that will do this for me? Thanks.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by joeclem111 View Post
    I am running Mandriva 2009 and have a Pixart USB webcam. It is recognised in the hardware config as "CIF single chip". I downloaded and installed the correct gspca rpm and all is well. Ekiga sees the cam and gives a good picture. Xawtv does the same. Skype cannot see the cam (capture is on /dev/video0). Apart from the Skype problem, I seem to have no controls for the cam. I need to flip the image for all output and I need to do colour adjustments for Xawtv. I also need to get Skype to see it. Has anyone got experience of this cam and any controls I can install? Am I missing a program within Mandy that will do this for me? Thanks.
    Not sure if this might help but try, go to package installer in MCC (Mandriva Control Center) and install libv4l then in console as regular user type this command:
    LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so skype

see if the cam works, if it does then you can edit the start menu for skype and in the command to execute just add that same line. As for a program to edit the cam settings, there's none since each program has it's own you might want to chect that in Xawtv settings. Hope that helps

MaRk-I

Just Joined!

nearly

Thank you so much for your interest. When I used the LD_PRELOAD command it showed me that Skype was trying to use ALSA for the audio function and we use Amarok in Mandy 2009, so I must fix that. When I do the video test in Skype, it initialises the right equipment, sees the right port and all goes well until it says "no suitable overlay format found", where it freezes. If you know what is going on I would love to know. This is one of the computer areas where my knowledge is very limited. I do know that Skype have made efforts to put out a version for many of the different Linux distros but we are still second class citizens to them. I think it may be down to Skype to update their software but, now they belong to google, will they still have the same will to embrace Linux? Thank you for your help so far.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Hi joe my knowledge is limited I'm also barely a linux user, also mandriva 2009 uses the new pulseaudio which I believe alot of sound programs don't work properly yet, in the pulseaudio webpage they have some instructions/work arounds but they're kind of tricky. the easiest one is to "pause" pulseaudio while using skype the command is "pasuspender skype" without the quotes. Try it hope it works, if you want to read more about it check out the link for pulseaudio.

PerfectSetup ? PulseAudio

MaRk-I