Find the answer to your Linux question:
i have just upgraded a mandrke 7 computer up to mandrake 9.2 but on boot up it tries to check the root filesystem and then gives ... e2fsck: only the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

e2fsck errors preventing normal bootup

i have just upgraded a mandrke 7 computer up to mandrake 9.2 but on boot up it tries to check the root filesystem and then gives ... e2fsck: only the options -p/-a, -n or -y may be specified.

other errors include...

swapon cannot stat /dev/hda7 :no such file or directory

and

/etc/rc.d/rcsysinit: line 110: /dev/tty0: no such file or directory.

are there any solutions to these problems or will i have to install again which i have already tried.

thanks
    Cry out for freedom! Cry out for Linux!

Linux Guru
    Man, that's a big (dangerous) ol' leap 7 -> 9.2.

My guess would be that the filesystem checker (es2fsck) changed (was updated) and that there's an old option that's no longer available being invoked, but I couldn't tell you for sure. As for the swapon error, just remove /dev/hda7 from /etc/fstab. I can't tell you why you had it in 7 and not 9.2, but either way it's not being used now (you can also use MCC to delete the partition and free up some disk space). As for your tty error, you could comment out that line regarding tty. I don't know how that will affect your serial communications, though.

Hopefully, that will solve 2/3 of your probems. They aren't the best fixes, but it's a start.
    Let us know what happens!
    Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremy1701

My guess would be that the filesystem checker (es2fsck) changed (was updated) and that there's an old option that's no longer available being invoked, but I couldn't tell you for sure. As for the swapon error, just remove /dev/hda7 from /etc/fstab. I can't tell you why you had it in 7 and not 9.2, but either way it's not being used now (you can also use MCC to delete the partition and free up some disk space). As for your tty error, you could comment out that line regarding tty. I don't know how that will affect your serial communications, though.

Hopefully, that will solve 2/3 of your probems. They aren't the best fixes, but it's a start.
    Jeremy

which file is the tty comment in?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    [quote="tr_wright1"]
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremy1701

Jeremy

Edit: could i just pull the old e2fsck rpm off the mandrake 7 disk and install it?

Linux Guru
    /etc/rc.d/rcsysinit: line 110

I don't know if it would work to install the MDK7 rpm over the 9.2 I didn't start using MDK until 8.0 (I was a SuSE fan before that). You could try it. First, though, I'd look through your startup log and see what option is being called with e2fsck and where it's being called from. That would help in troublshooting your error. Maybe (if you're real lucky!) it's something as simple a -P rather then -p and you can change it.

Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude