Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have installed Mandriva 2009 successfully. I create the boot.lnx file in linux rescue mode. But I am unable to copy the boot.lnx to my windows partition. I tried using ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

[SOLVED] Dual Boot using windows bootloader

I have installed Mandriva 2009 successfully. I create the boot.lnx file in linux rescue mode. But I am unable to copy the boot.lnx to my windows partition. I tried using the unix cp command at the console in rescue mode. I mounted the windows drive and copied the generated boot.lnx to windows dir. But after rebooting i am unable to see the boot.lnx file in windows. Mandriva does not give any option of creating the boot cd. I do not have floppy drive. Can somebody suggest a work around?

Thanks,

Sesha

Linux Guru
    Do you have ntfs-3g enabled so you can write to windows?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by yancek View Post
    Do you have ntfs-3g enabled so you can write to windows?

where do i do that? Also can it be done during Mandriva 2009 Installation, as I am unable to boot into Linux once I install the Grub onto root partition of linux. So post-installation I can only use the rescue mode .

Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by vssekhar View Post
    I have installed Mandriva 2009 successfully. I create the boot.lnx file in linux rescue mode. But I am unable to copy the boot.lnx to my windows partition. I tried using the unix cp command at the console in rescue mode. I mounted the windows drive and copied the generated boot.lnx to windows dir. But after rebooting i am unable to see the boot.lnx file in windows. Mandriva does not give any option of creating the boot cd. I do not have floppy drive. Can somebody suggest a work around?

Thanks,

Sesha
    If you want to use Windows Boot Loader only then I would suggest you to use Bootpart for setting up dual boot.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Linux Guru
    The site below explains how to enable ntfs-eg so you can write to ntfs from Mandriva. The site is about Mandriva 2007 but should be similar on the newer version. Don't use Mandriva so I'm not sure if the method will be the same on the newer version. Worth checking out if you want to boot from windows.

How To Enable NTFS Write Support (ntfs-3g) On Mandriva 2007 Spring - Page 2 | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials