Find the answer to your Linux question:
Wow, what an excellent resource you guys are- I love how every other thread in the forum contains the word "Noob"... here's one more to add to the list I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Accessing Secondary FAT32 HD

Wow, what an excellent resource you guys are- I love how every other thread in the forum contains the word "Noob"... here's one more to add to the list

I just set up my system to dual boot XP and Mandrake 10.0, I've got 2 80GB hd's, the Primary master has both OS's installed, and I've partioned the secondary HD to be a FAT32 "mule" drive, so that I can share MP3's, avi's, etc between XP and Linux. XP can read the secondary drive just fine, and play MP3 files with no problem, so I know that there's no corruption or other problems of that sort. Mandrake mounts the drive fine, and I can see all my files, but when I try to play them I get all sorts of skipping, scratching, etc- it's exactly as if the transfer rate isn't high enough to keep the stream going- very strange. At first I thought perhaps it was audio drivers, but the same files play perfectly once copied onto the primary drive. Any suggestions?

Sorry for the long post!
    Many thanks,
    Shiva88

XP 2800+
    A78NX Deluxe nforce2
    ATI 9600PRO
    1GB Ram

Try this (as root):

Code:
    hdparm -d1 /dev/hdb
    Assuming the FAT mule drive is hdb (Primary Slave).
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Just Joined!
    Thanks sarumont, i'll give that a shot just as soon as i get back into linux. What exactly, if i may ask, does that do?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

Fixed

That seems to have done it! Thanks a million! Now, if you could just get my ATI hardware acceleration working.... LOL!
    I've read a dozen article on how to accomplish that, and I've just decided that for now i'm too much of a noob for that to happen.

Thanks again!

Just Joined!

One more question...

One more thing... when installing packages, Mandrake keeps prompting me to install to insert CD 4, but I've only got 3! I checked out several of the mandrake mirrors and none of them offer a disc 4 either... what gives?

Quote Originally Posted by Shiva88
    Thanks sarumont, i'll give that a shot just as soon as i get back into linux. What exactly, if i may ask, does that do?
    My bad...forgot to explain. That turns DMA on for the drive. DMA (Direct Memory Access) allows the drive to read/write to the memory without the CPU's intevention, speeding up read/write times.

Getting ATI hardware accelleration working isn't *that* hard. Mine worked with little to no tinkering on my part.

I'm not sure about the disk4 think..>I'll look into it tomorrow. Time for sleep now.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hi Shiva88,
    Disk4 contains KDE 3.3 and some extra apps for KDE and Gnome . To fix this got to MCC,
    Software Management -> Media Manager and select cd4 and remove it. This will telll mandrake to show only the packages that you have on the 3 cds.