Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm actually a Linux n00b too, having finally decided to switch from WinXP; it just pisses me off WAY too much, and I've heard GREAT things about Linux. I'm getting ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Mandrake n00b

I'm actually a Linux n00b too, having finally decided to switch from WinXP; it just pisses me off WAY too much, and I've heard GREAT things about Linux. I'm getting a boxed copy of Mandrake PowerPack 10 from my dad's work, which makes life good. I'm a computer science student at university, and I was told that I could get so much more out of Linux than Windows in terms of development. So here I am.

Now my main question(s):

My plan is to install Mandrake on my laptop. It's a Toshiba A30, 2.5 celeron, 256MB RAM, 30GB drive.
    1) Are these requirements enough to run Mandrake at a relatively quick pace?
    2)The battery on the laptop is rated at about 2.5 hours per charge; how much does this change with Linux ie. how is power management in Linux?
    3)My programming courses are all in Java, I currently am using JCreator in Windows XP. What is a similar program for Linux? Also, what is a good C++ editor/compilter for Linux (or does it come with one)?

Thank you very much for your patience guys, sorry if my questions are a little too n00bish. I'm really looking forward to the world of Linux!

first, i'd like to say: "welcome"
    now:
    1)that more than meets the minimum requirements, and mandrake should run quite nicely.
    2)linux has good power management, though i've never gotten to use it cos my battery was dead when i bought my notebook (second hand)
    3)linux has a very strong development environment. If you're talking about a Java IDE, you'll probably hafta d/l one, but there are plenty. linux does however usually come with a command-line java compiler, which is either java and javac or gjc.
    Linux also comes with tons of resources for C/C++, and a command line compiler (cc, gcc, etc)
    once again, welcome to the community
    -lakerdonald

Re: Mandrake n00b

Quote Originally Posted by kevdude
    3)My programming courses are all in Java, I currently am using JCreator in Windows XP. What is a similar program for Linux? Also, what is a good C++ editor/compilter for Linux (or does it come with one)?
    As mentioned before, Linux does come with C/C++ and Java comilers (the gcc, g++, and gcj compilers), but I thought I'd add my favorite Java IDE, eclipse, which I also use at work.

http://www.eclipse.org

It's quite a nice interface, has a plugin that lets you use it for C++, and it's free.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    thanks very much for your quick answers! Eclipse looks like a great program, can't wait to get coding in it.

Thanks again, and I'm really glad I made this switch from Windows!