Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
I have no idea whether the disc included in the Linux Bible is the free or One edition. You can add all of the proprietary stuff like flash after install, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

I have no idea whether the disc included in the Linux Bible is the free or One edition. You can add all of the proprietary stuff like flash after install, though. The caveat being that a lot of times drivers or firmware for wireless cards aren't free, making connecting to the internet a challenge. Does the included disc run as a live CD? Anyway, presuming you are able to install and get online, Mandriva will not automatically update to the most recent release, ie, it won't go from 2007 to 2009, if that's what you're asking. You will be offered any updates available for whichever release you're running, however. If you have access to a CD burner, I recommend just downloading the most current release to burn and install. Download | Mandriva

Docs/Installing Mandriva Linux/Writing CD and DVD images - Mandriva Community Wiki

It is Mandriva One, and yes, it will run as a Live CD.

Ah, well, if you run it as a live cd, does it detect your hardware correctly, does it play flash videos? If everything is working from the CD, then it will work fine installed as well. One note, you mentioned in your first post playing AOE III. No distro will support that natively, since it's not a linux program. You'll have to use WINE whatever you run. If you want the newest Mandriva release, it is possible to upgrade, but you'll be downloading as much or more than if you just downloaded the newest version and did a fresh install. Also, because of the huge change from KDE3 to KDE4 that happened with Mandriva 2009, upgrading can be a bit tricky.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by WorrFighter View Post
    I would like the version with Adobe, and all the other goodies. I have not yet found how to install thos add-ons yet.
    Yo... I often use RPM Search to find any packages that do not come with the distro by default, along with sites like About Rpmfind.Net WWW Server a.k.a. Rufus.W3.Org. Mandriva, however, doesn't appear to have great support outside of the standard distro for extra goodies. Whereas, for example, PClinuxOS includes a lot of the useful stuff - like Adobe Reader - in its package listings, and Fedora has sites like livna.org for a lot of the proprietary stuff.

You'll have to wait for a Mandriva guru to direct you to the correct URL... .
    Respectfully... Sarlac II
    ~~
    The moving clock K' appears to K to run slow by the factor (1-v^2/c^2)^(1/2).
    This is the phenomenon of time dilation.
    The faster you run, the younger you look, to everyone but yourself.

O.K, let's clarify the things:
    1. Mandriva as most Linux distribution deals with online repositories which are sources for all the good programs not included in installation's DVD. For Mandriva it is Easy Urpmi.
    You just have to go to that page and let your urpmi add repositories. You will find also plugin's for Adobe. When you retrieved the list of packages, start the package manager and you'll be able to install as many programs as you want, all at once.
    2. I recommend you to use Mandriva 2008.1 Spring DVD version. I'ts still KDE 3.5 based, and that means stable. I'm using it since 11 months and haven't found any serious bugs.
    The version 2009.1 will be out in a month, but that will be based on KDE 4.2, which is still at least in "testing" phase.
    Mandriva is a right choice.
    If you need a CD/DVD catalogizer, give a try to my program:
    http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show...content=100682
    Linux Usert#430188

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2